Double smoking a ham, quick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

v8maro

Original poster
Apr 28, 2018
I plan to double smoke a spiral cut ham for easter this weekend. Planning to do about a 9-10lb ham. How high can I run the temp in my MES30 when smoking it? I saw Bear recommends 200*. Any reason for 200* vs 270*? If it's pre-smoked it wouldn't hurt to cook it at a higher temp, would it?

As was said longer in the smoke equals more smoke flavor also the higher the temp the more chance of drying it out some. At 270 it shouldn't cause it to be dry but unless you need to hurry it along I'd go 200-225 to give it more time to take on more smoke flavor

Reactions: 912smoker
I agree with others. I dont find a lot of store bought hams don't have any smoke flavor. I'm sure through out the years bear tried different temps and he found the best temps that he found worked the best.

Since it’s already cooked you could smoke it at any temp you want. I’m with the others, smoke it at a low temp. Next time get a unsliced ham & and get a bottle of Tony C’s Pralines & honey injectable marinade. & use the whole bottle injecting the ham, what is left over or leaks out use as a mop while it cooks. Best ham you will ever have!
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
All the answers you got above are my main reasons for using the Temps I use in my Double-Smoked Ham Step by Steps.
More Smoke during longer times at lower temps.
Less Dry & Less Skin formed on the outside at lower temps.

Bear

All the answers you got above are my main reasons for using the Temps I use in my Double-Smoked Ham Step by Steps.
More Smoke during longer times at lower temps.
Less Dry & Less Skin formed on the outside at lower temps.

Bear
Thanks, and thanks everyone else! I plan to cook at 200* but also wanted to know if I turned it up to make a certain dinner time that I'd be able to do so.

How long should I expect to cook a 9lb ham? 1hr/lb (@200)?

Thanks, and thanks everyone else! I plan to cook at 200* but also wanted to know if I turned it up to make a certain dinner time that I'd be able to do so.

How long should I expect to cook a 9lb ham? 1hr/lb (@200)?

Here ya go, V8: (5 hours to get to 135°)
Below are the Times & Temps for a 9.41lb Ham I did in a 200° Smoker(10-8-2015):

Here is how my times & temps went:
8:30----------Preheat to 200˚. Also fill 2 rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
9:00----------Put Ham & fat in position. Also put AMNPS on Rack in #6 Position.
9:15----------Internal Temp——39°
10:00---------IT—-50°
10:30---------IT—-66°
11:00---------IT----82°
12:00---------IT—-106°
1:00-----------IT----122°
2:00-----------IT----135°—-Open door & Apply Glaze with Spoon——Heat Dropped down to 150°.
2:08-----------IT—-136°———Smoker temp back to 208°.
2:30-----------IT—-138°———Smoker temp at 201°.
3:00-----------IT—-140°
3:30-----------IT—-142°——-Reset Smoker to 150° to stop cooking.
4:00-----------IT——144°
4:20-----------IT——144°————Pull Ham
4:30-----------Slice and eat.

Here is the whole Step by Step:
double-smoked-ham-bear-style.236101

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky