Double low salt Pork butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2008RN

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Sweet Home, Oregon
Low salt Pork butts

I made 2 - 9 lbs. pork butts on Sunday. I made them like I would have done a beef brisket. I started by trimming fat down to less than 1/4 thick. I injected the butts and place in a big ziplock bag. Then poured left over injection as a marinade and let them sit in cold fridge for 24 hours.

Injection/Marinade:
1 C apple juice
1 C beef broth (550 Na+/cup med salt)
2 TBS apple vinegar,
1 TBS Lime Juice
1 TBS lemon Juice
2 TBS Worcestershire (225mg Na+/Tbsp(75/tsp))
3 TBS chili powder,
4 tsp garlic powder,
4 tsp onion powder,
4 tsp brown sugar (Splenda Blend),
4 tsp basil (grind in coffee maker)
2 tsp black pepper.
1 tsp Jalapeño powder
(total sodium (Na+) content 1000 mg)
upload_2019-8-6_23-32-26.jpeg

I then made Jeff’s Original Style Rub (left out the salt) and rubbed both butts, and let them set for another 24 hours.

I started the smoke at 1:00 AM on Sunday morning and then finished at 5PM (16hrs later)

upload_2019-8-6_23-33-56.jpeg

After 24 with rub on the meats going in the smoker at 1:00 AM.

upload_2019-8-6_23-34-22.jpeg

Looks pretty cool with the floods bathing the smoker and smoke, with the background pitch dark.

1. Cold smoke with mesquite/hickory mix until meat reach 40º
2. Smoked at 225º until meat was 160º
3. Continue to smoke meat at 275º until it the meat reached 203º.
4. Rapped and place in cooler for 1hrs.

upload_2019-8-6_23-35-7.jpeg

Bark is a little to done.

upload_2019-8-6_23-35-38.jpeg

I bought a set of Bear claws off of Amazon. Cast stainless steel. I have fat hands and there was plenty of room for my hands in them. Made it pretty simple to pull the meat. The only problem with these is the wooden handles are a little dry. I am going to rub the handles down with either tung oil or butcher block oil.

I made 2 BBQ sauces for the side, so we could eat the pulled pork naked, or with either sauce.

The first sauce was a mustard sauce. It was one of Chef JJ’s recipes that I made full strength.

Yellow Bubba Q Juice/South Carolina style
2C Yellow Mustard
1C Cider Vinegar
1C Brown Sugar
2T Sriracha or other Hot Sauce
1tsp Blk Pepper
1tsp Gran. Garlic
1tsp Gran. Onion
1 TBS Worcestershire
Cayenne Pepper to taste (did not use. medium warmth without it)

The second sauce was Jeff’s Original BBQ Sauce that we (My better half and I) spiced up a little. We were trying to make it like Devil’s spit BBQ sauce. Didn’t quite get it as hot as the devil’s spit but close. We added Apple cider, paprika, onion powder and Jalapeño powder to Jeff’s Original BBQ Sauce. Both Sauces did well.
upload_2019-8-6_23-37-41.jpeg

My better half finished off the meal with sliced sweet potatoes. A dish of broccoli, cauliflower, and onion in a light cheese sauce, and mustard potato salad. We finished off the evening with Home made apple pie with ice cream. What a great meal!

upload_2019-8-6_23-38-29.jpeg

2 open face sandwiches, one of each sauce, with potato salad, veges, and sweet potato.

The only real problem was the bark was pretty tuff and hard in places. Normally on a brisket I would have covered the meat at around 165 degrees until finishing at 203 degrees. But I didn’t do this, I just let the butts cook on a grate the whole time. Next Time I think I will put the butt in a pan, and then cover with foil.

Last edited:
That's a fine looking platter of PP. Excellent Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks Really Good, 2008RN !!
Nice Bark!
Like.
I Pan mine at start, and then cover @ 165°.

Bear

Tasty looking pork! We have butcher block on 2/3 of our cabinets and our island we use mineral oil on it much cheaper then block oil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky