Doing some jerky.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I haven't done any jerky in quite a while. So on the way home from taking care of a few things yesterday. I stopped at the store and got 5 pounds of London Broil.
These were already cut like steaks. So the prep was easy. Cut in 1/4" slices. And put in 2 one gallon mason jars. I'm not doing the normal high mountain hickory style this time. I'm kind of winging it.
So, for the 5 pounds of meat I mixed up:
1 cup worcestershire sauce
1.5 cups soy sauce
2 cups teriyaki sauce.
3 tsp liquid smoke. This will be oven jerky
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne powder.
1 teaspoon cure #1
Mixed all this together.
I split this up into the 2 mason jars. And put them under vacuum. I'll be putting them in the oven after I get home this afternoon.

PB290108.JPG

You're evil Steve. Get this tease going then disappear. I got my eye on you though....It's time for me to start making jerky for Christmas presents to share with some folks and I'm curious to see how yours turns out. I've always used the dehydrator but a friend recently did some on his RT 700 so I'm considering that also.

Got one eye open...
Robert

Reactions: Steve H
It's time for me to start making jerky for Christmas presents to share with some folks

See I just stole another idea. I'm gonna make Jerky for some of my peeps as well. Thanks Robert! LOL

I too and watching Steve's run as well. I got my method but always open for fresh ideas.......

I just have to get motivated!
I'm watching too much & not filming my smokes enough!
Gonna have to jump back on the wagon!
Are you going to dry it in the smoker or a dehydrator?
Al

See I just stole another idea. I'm gonna make Jerky for some of my peeps as well. Thanks Robert! LOL

You can't steal what's freely given :emoji_wink: A number of our friends, including the person who owns the company I work for, are somewhat....financially stable shall we say. There is nothing I could buy for them that they don't already have if they want it. The only thing I can offer is something that you can't run to the store and buy or order online. The company owner and I go back to '97 when I started working with him. He's a great guy and absolutely LOVES the jerky I make, so that's my Christmas present to him every year, along with other goodies, like smoked cheese, some different sausages, and homemade bacon. Any or all of that means more to him than anything I could ever buy.

Robert

Reactions: texomakid
And in they go. 5 pounds of meat fills 4 jerky trays nicely. Oven at 170 will check in 3 hours.

PB290109.JPG

Reactions: TNJAKE
You're evil Steve. Get this tease going then disappear. I got my eye on you though....It's time for me to start making jerky for Christmas presents to share with some folks and I'm curious to see how yours turns out. I've always used the dehydrator but a friend recently did some on his RT 700 so I'm considering that also.

Got one eye open...
Robert

I'll be watching my back!!!LOL

And they are done. Cooling for the night. Will bag in the morning. The taste is pretty good. But my next batch I would add pepper. I thought the Cayenne would be enough. So either more cayenne. Or a couple tsp of ground pepper. Still. This was not a disappointment by any means. Very tasty with a nice teriyaki and soy sauce taste.

jerky.jpg

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky