Do you Want Your Own BBQ place ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought about having my own business & still think about it & the one thing that stops me is: I don't want to cook food for a living. I smoke as a stress reliver. I drink alcohol, watch temps, poke fire, laugh & enjoy my wife & daughter while making the evening's meal. I don't want to give that up to try & please a public that can turn on you a the drop of a dime.

I could see it. A BBQ joint wouldn't really need the haute decor of a fancy restaurant, so the investment - start up cost isn't out of reach.

I'd want mine to be a BBQ joint / brewery. With any luck, I could also integrate some live music; that would be all three of my major interests in one!

I would love to have my own place... it's one of those lotto dreams.

BBQ/brewpub where my friends could hang out, hear some tunes, have some beers and food. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to leave my job right now or I'd seriously pursue it. I found the perfect location for my concept a few weeks ago. I would love to open a place that would be a destination for motorcyclists (not bikers).

I understand the hobby into work argument. I've done it before and I'd do it again.
-love to snowboard = got a job in a ski shop so I could ride on the cheap
-used to play paintball = helped run a field for several years

I'm not afraid of the work either. I think that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. And, if you truly love what you do, you'll never work again... I can't say that for my current job. It's a dirge and I hate being here, but it pays the bills and can't be outsourced. Damn golden handcuffs.

Already made the jump from hobby cook to running a small catering biz. Wife & I really enjoy it. Helps that it's not the primary source of income so we can stay small and pick & choose when we work.

Our future plans, once the kids get done with college and the wife can retire with full medical coverage, about 5 more years is to either expand the catering biz or open a Bed & Breakfast that will also include a small dining room and offer dinner service. Won't be a BBQ joint but will surely include Q on the menu.

I've thought about it for years and still do today. The one thing that has probably deterred me the most is the 90% failure rate that we all hear about. I notice there are little hole in the wall places that specialize in stuff like breakfast or BBQ etc and really don't vary much from that but they do exceptionally well. One place in particular that comes to mind is Katrina's in Auburn, CA. They are only open for breakfast and lunch but go there on a weekend and expect to wait at least 30 minutes before you can get seated. They are seriously that busy almost the entire time they are open. Also the food is spectacular! I could see doing something like that where it doesn't completely consume your life lol. Those type of places never cease to amaze me and they are a treasure to find!

I do, but only because there is a huge un-tapped market for it here in the Northeast. If you can put out a quality product, which I can, I think there is some money to be made. So many people around here go to subpar bbq places because thats all there is.

Since I started smoking my own stuff, I have yet to eat bbq anywhere around here. When in the south I do, but I can make stuff 10 times better than any bbq place up here, so why pay for it?

Now I just need to be loaded so I can open my own place!

Ditto here, not interested in opening a Qjoint.

I want my own fishing/outdoor show. lol
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky