Do briskets cook faster in a smaller smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One brisket can differ from another in fat and connective tissue, that could alter cook time as well. Also if one cooker isn't insulated as well as another could play a part too.
Insulation has nothing to do with it.
As long as the smoker is holding temp, it's holding temp.
The only way insulation comes into play is the amount of fuel you'll burn through to hold your temp. In cooler climates, for example, you will need more fuel to keep steady temps.

It may have something to do with your meat placement on the reverse flow vs the Lang. Your grate temp may have been hotter where you put the brisket on your Lang.

I tend to disagree with this statement. There are numerous threads posted on the forum disproving low-n-slow vs. hot-n-fast brisket smoking. Unless you consider 325* plus low-n-slow. If you do a search. I think you might be surprised.

Chris

I will take it from the best.

Franklin’s 12-13 hours

Terry Blacks – 12 hours

Moo’s Craft BBQ – 12-14 hours

If you are doing hundreds of these day after day why would you take the time to do it right if you could just do it in a few hours?

Reactions: gmc2003
I will take it from the best.

Franklin’s 12-13 hours

Terry Blacks – 12 hours

Moo’s Craft BBQ – 12-14 hours

If you are doing hundreds of these day after day why would you take the time to do it right if you could just do it in a few hours?
I've heard of Franklin's but haven't heard of the other two you mention, and I believe Franklin cooks at 250 to 275*. Which I consider to be the starting point for hot-n-fast. 225* is low-n-slow. 300*+ is extremely hot-n-fast and works well for family outing, but probably wouldn't pass the muster for a business relying on its reputation for brisket to stay in business.

Chris

Reactions: indaswamp
As long as the smoker is holding temp, it's holding temp.
And if it's not, it's not. I have a thin offset that struggles because the temp fluctuates alot especially in cold weather. I always have longer cooks on it. Just throwing a couple things out there for the guy

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky