Bacon Up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Curious - has anyone used this stuff? I saw it on a shelf in HEB and I HAD to buy it!

IMG_2268.JPG

When I was a kid I remember some family that kept a jar full of used bacon fat on the counter. This stuff says that it is "shelf stable" but I'm not willing to take a chance - it is in the fridge.

I cooked an egg with it this morning and it was pretty darned good!

Slowly we are going back to how things used to be cooked. My grandmother had a silver can (about quart sized) that she strained her bacon grease into. And bacon was a every morning staple at her house. So it was always fresh. And I never saw her cook anything that didnt start with a heaping spoon full out of that can.
Spooky we will need a full report on this ASAP please. :emoji_laughing: I'm hitting the grocery this weekend. May have to add this to my list.

Jim

Curious - has anyone used this stuff? I saw it on a shelf in HEB and I HAD to buy it!

View attachment 686567

When I was a kid I remember some family that kept a jar full of used bacon fat on the counter. This stuff says that it is "shelf stable" but I'm not willing to take a chance - it is in the fridge.

I cooked an egg with it this morning and it was pretty darned good!
Never tried it but it just now reminded me that I had smoked pork rib grease in the garage fridge from last weekend. The girlfriend demanded I save it for some cooking hahahaha.

I'll put it to use here soon for sure :D

Thanks for th einfo on this stuff :D

Reactions: Retired Spook
I started to buy some just to make gravy with then realized I aint supposed to eat biscuits and gravy, I still do but not every day and that would have made it to easy to do daily :emoji_laughing:
I love biscuits made with bacon fat (the way Captain Augustus McRae made em) - a WORLD of difference for the better.

Reactions: JLeonard
C'mon we all know you want this size!
1706125039937.jpeg

Not as bad as I thought

Nutrition Facts​

Serving size 1 tablespoon (13g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g22%
Saturated Fat 4.5g23%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 0g0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Total Sugars 0g0%
Includes 0g Added Sugars0%
Protein 0g0%
Vitamin D 0mcg0%
Calcium 0mg0%
Iron 0mg0%
Potassium 0mg0%

* The Percent Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advic

View attachment 686608

Not as bad as I thought

Nutrition Facts​

Amount Per Serving
Calories130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g22%
Saturated Fat 4.5g23%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 0g0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Total Sugars 0g0%
Protein 0g0%
Vitamin D 0mcg0%
Calcium 0mg0%
Iron 0mg0%
Potassium 0mg0%

* The Percent Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advic
Dang near diet food 😄
Use to keep a Mason jar near the stove for storage until last yr when I poured it in TOO HOT. Now looking for a metal container like momma always used !

Keith

View attachment 686608

Not as bad as I thought

Nutrition Facts​

Amount Per Serving
Calories130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g22%
Saturated Fat 4.5g23%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 0g0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Total Sugars 0g0%
Protein 0g0%
Vitamin D 0mcg0%
Calcium 0mg0%
Iron 0mg0%
Potassium 0mg0%

So how is there no sodium in this?

*Edit*
From Bacon Up's web site:
Although Bacon Up contains only two ingredients – bacon fat and BHA – we also list on our ingredient statement the list of ingredients that the bacon MAY have been cured in. Because our supplier prepares bacon with different cures for different bacon products, we list them ALL, just to be on the safe side.
Many people notice – and wonder why! – the Ingredient Statement says the bacon itself may have been cured with sea salt or brown sugar, for instance, and yet our FDA-approved Nutrition Facts panel indicates Bacon Up has Zero mg of Sodium and Zero g of Carbohydrates per serving. Note that only trace amounts of sodium, carbs, etc. cook out of the bacon and end up in the grease. In a one-tablespoon serving, it is less than the amount required to be reported.

I read a piece a year or so ago that talked about how and when America switched from tallow and bacon grease to highly refined nut oils.
If memory serves, bacon grease can not and will not grow bacteria and does not need to be in the fridge, plus it is pretty darn good health wise.
Most interesting is the overall negative health changes that came with the swap to refined nut oils.
Article stated that the rape seed (canola) growers or their lobby group staged an anti animal fat campaign and in the end influenced Americans to abandon animal fat as unhealthy.
So instead of cheap and easy to obtain animal fat, we get expensive and hard to manufacture nut and seed oils.
Turns out that animal fats are way better for you than 99% of refined nut oils.

Corporations would feed you nuclear waste, and create a marketing campaign that tells you that nuclear waste is good for you, if they could get away with it, and more importantly, if they could PROFIT from it.

I have always saved and used bacon fat, but I have always kept it in the fridge. When I saw this container of Bacon Up, I just HAD to try it.

It's pretty good!

We always left ours out on the counter to solidify. Does the store bought version say to "refrigerate after opening '?

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky