Did my smoked wings last night, with a twist.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I know I may be a little late to the party, but I’ve been wanting to try flash frying my wings right after they have been smoked. I usually say I’m gonna do it, but we get our smoked wings pretty crispy bc I run my Lang hot.

Well last night I stayed committed to the operation. Even set up my propane burner right next to the smoker.
B10C3C30-0A42-481D-969A-407380C9419A.jpeg

I got my fire super hot, with a large bed of pecan coals ready for some yard bird.

For father’s day, kosmos q had a wing dust special. I got a package of chili lime wing dust, and a package of garlic parm. I did my normal marinade of Tabasco, worshestichire & Italian dressing for a few hours, then I did half and half wing dust.
058598CB-2947-4B3F-AB5B-73CB1E1F2952.jpeg

Followed my usual time and temp, 275 for 1.5 then I bumped the heat up for the next 30 mins. At 1:45 they were ready for some grease, so I heated up the hot oil to 350.
7A0AAF30-EA1B-4BE6-98ED-CC75EB6D18FB.jpeg
Things got a little cramped as our typical south la summer weather does, thunderstorms came Through.

Not to worry, it was a quick fry, virtually no mess, and well worth it. I made some home made buttermilk ranch for dipping and we had some mighty fine wings!

The kosmos wing dust was great, but I think any dry rub would have done fine. If you haven’t tried flash frying your post-smoked wings, ya gotta try.

I think these were the best wings I’ve ever had.

Attachments

• 7202C8DD-4204-4CF0-BA75-FC646CE82118.jpeg
    7202C8DD-4204-4CF0-BA75-FC646CE82118.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
They look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

I have done that before too, but I thought the frying took a lot of the smoke flavor away.
So I just sear them on a hot grill, or the best method for wings seems to be with a vortex.
Al

I have done that before too, but I thought the frying took a lot of the smoke flavor away.
So I just sear them on a hot grill, or the best method for wings seems to be with a vortex.
Al
You know Al, I was concerned about the same thing. I swear though, if anything, the smoke was more pronounced.

Well that is really cool, cause I really like deep fried wings & I guess I'll have to give it another try.
If you say it worked for you then it should work for me. I'll let you know when I give it a try again!
Thanks for the update!!
Al

Well that is really cool, cause I really like deep fried wings & I guess I'll have to give it another try.
If you say it worked for you then it should work for me. I'll let you know when I give it a try again!
Thanks for the update!!
Al
Al, best advice I can give, get the grease to at least 350, and don’t fry them more than 60 seconds...that’s all it took!

those look really really good. this is the second smoked wing thread i have looked at in 5 minutes...im gonna do some wings next weekend! you and flatbroke have inspired me!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Those wings look pretty good to me.

Point for sure.

Chris

Can't argue with the results, they look fantastic.
Thanks petehalsted!
those look really really good. this is the second smoked wing thread i have looked at in 5 minutes...im gonna do some wings next weekend! you and flatbroke have inspired me!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Thanks Aaron!

Those wings look pretty good to me.

Point for sure.

Chris
Thanks Chris!

Nice lookin Wings Saint, gonna have to give that a try
Thanks Doug!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky