Cure Times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
I think I have read here, cure time on, say a pork loin where you penetrate from both sides, is 1/4" per side per day. Have I been mis-informed?

Reactions: JLeonard
I think I have read here, cure time on, say a pork loin where you penetrate from both sides, is 1/4" per side per day. Have I been mis-informed?
That’s what they claim, but is totally dependent on salt concentration. So more salt faster, less salt slower. My recommendation is to let that meat ride 10-14 days. This gives ample time for cure and also allows the development of flavors. Just let it ride and don’t hurry the process.

That’s what they claim, but is totally dependent on salt concentration. So more salt faster, less salt slower. My recommendation is to let that meat ride 10-14 days. This gives ample time for cure and also allows the development of flavors. Just let it ride and don’t hurry the process.
What Eric said. Rule of thumb says 1/4 all the way around per day (provided you don't go way low on salt%) and add a day for safety, but the bare minimum doesn't provide you with the flavor development you get with 10 to 14 days. I know I wanted to rush things on my first go with bacon, but I resisted the urge to rush it through and did a 2 week cure.

Weigh meat and convert to grams. For dry brining min 1.5% salt and is what I use, .25% cure 1 for 156ppm. 1% sugar optional. When you weigh the meat and the ingredients it's an equilibrium cure based on the meat weight. You can't over cure it so 1/4"/day plus 2 days for good measure. Let it coast another few days or week if you want.

Reactions: DougE
Weigh meat and convert to grams. For dry brining min 1.5% salt and is what I use, .25% cure 1 for 156ppm. 1% sugar optional. When you weigh the meat and the ingredients it's an equilibrium cure based on the meat weight. You can't over cure it so 1/4"/day plus 2 days for good measure. Let it coast another few days or week if you want.
I also use 0.25% cure#1, 1.5% salt, but use 0.75% sugar. I run about 14 days no matter if it's cured in half that time (give or take) for the added flavor development.

Reactions: dr k
I also use 0.25% cure#1, 1.5% salt, but use 0.75% sugar. I run about 14 days no matter if it's cured in half that time (give or take) for the added flavor development.
Yup! I make 1.5" boneless pork loin back bacons around 300gms each and weigh everything and keep them individually sealed, cured for smoked, grilled boneless Kassler Rippchen vs whole back bacon. Pull one out or two from the fridge as you need them. 8 days min but mostly 14 days. I use a pork chop seasoning that is salt, MSG and sugar as the first three ingredients so I add 1% added salt to the cure and no additional sugar. These are great because I try not to freeze and keep in the fridge as I want one like commercial bacon. For back or spare ribs I use 60% cure 1 for bacon on a stick and 80% cure 1 for bone in loin chops since bone doesn't absorb cure. These three are much simpler and convenient than belly bacon.

Reactions: DougE
Shape of the piece also matters. A tubular shaped cut of meat will cure faster than a flat piece of meat because the concentration to the center gets higher faster. This is due to the angular approach of the cure from every direction in a uniform manner.

Sorry to bring this up again, fellas, I have learned a lot here and have done a significant amount of successful curing. I just got into a debate on Facebook with a guy, and I was sticking by the 1/4" per day per side, which I thought I had read here several times. He was adamant about only 1/8" per day per side, total only 1/4" per day.

I do use plenty of salt to help the cure along, and I generally consider penetrating both sides simultaneously, so as a general rule I can figure 1/2" per day measuring the thickest part, up to a limited large size, of course.

But again, with all that said, and with what most here also say, I usually go at least seven-eight days on almost anything, and up to two weeks is not uncommon either.

Whoever told you that is wrong. Here is a direct quote from chef jimmyj:

Your cutting Salt and Syrup is fine. That amount of Cure #1 is Low. Use 1 Tablespoon but add it After the Brine Cools. 4 to 5 Days may not cure to the center if your Loin is thick. Measure the thickness at the thickest point an soak 1 Day for each 1/2" of thickness. If 4" thick, soak 8 days minimum. Some guys go an extra day for insurance...JJ

Yeah but it's Facebook, so what you gonna do? Thanks for the quote.
I will add this, most of the time frames today are from The older days when they used 3-4% salt. That salt is the horsepower that diffuses the salt and cure into the meat. Today people are all over the map with all in salt, from 1% to 2%. That lower salt will need more time. But keep in mind that while an old recipe may call for 7 days of cure time on a pork belly it also will call for an equalization time of anywhere from 14-30 days. That equalization time is left out of todays hurry up and get it done curing process. Non the less, that extra time was called for then with double the salt percentage. That’s why with lower salt ( I’m all in at 1.75%) I caution people to give more time, to go 14 days on bellies for example. I’m trying to add some equalization time in there, and it works perfectly, even 21 days is good but I don’t like going 30 days just because our salt percentage is low and I have had cured meats mold at 30 days.

Today meat is properly cured once the meat is “red in the center” but to me the meat is cured when the process is complete, at which time the meat is cured through, equalized and deliciously balanced. While the meat may get “red“ in the center at 1/2” per day with lower salt percentage I believe that throwing caution to 1/4” per day will yield a better more tasty product, I’m not saying you have to but I suggest you consider it.

Reactions: DougE and indaswamp
I use 1% salt (or lower) in my meats. 1/2% in the fresh sausage for my wife.
I cure loin at 1% and it requires at least double the time.
I just started a 1% dry cure belly and I will let it go for 3 weeks before even thinking about sending to the smoke.

You can spray treat the surface of a belly with potassium Sorbate to prevent mold growth on the surface for those lengthy equalization periods....
Does the spray hinder the nitrate/nitrite action?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I use 1% salt (or lower) in my meats. 1/2% in the fresh sausage for my wife.
I cure loin at 1% and it requires at least double the time.
I just started a 1% dry cure belly and I will let it go for 3 weeks before even thinking about sending to the smoke.

Does the spray hinder the nitrate/nitrite action?
Are you including cure salt in that 1%? That low salt is workable with refrigeration today, but the added time in cure is essential. Your process sounds good to me.

The PS does not effect the cure or nitrite it’s self. Just stops the formation of mold.

I will add this, most of the time frames today are from The older days when they used 3-4% salt. That salt is the horsepower that diffuses the salt and cure into the meat. Today people are all over the map with all in salt, from 1% to 2%. That lower salt will need more time. But keep in mind that while an old recipe may call for 7 days of cure time on a pork belly it also will call for an equalization time of anywhere from 14-30 days. That equalization time is left out of todays hurry up and get it done curing process. Non the less, that extra time was called for then with double the salt percentage. That’s why with lower salt ( I’m all in at 1.75%) I caution people to give more time, to go 14 days on bellies for example. I’m trying to add some equalization time in there, and it works perfectly, even 21 days is good but I don’t like going 30 days just because our salt percentage is low and I have had cured meats mold at 30 days.

Today meat is properly cured once the meat is “red in the center” but to me the meat is cured when the process is complete, at which time the meat is cured through, equalized and deliciously balanced. While the meat may get “red“ in the center at 1/2” per day with lower salt percentage I believe that throwing caution to 1/4” per day will yield a better more tasty product, I’m not saying you have to but I suggest you consider it.
Great post, thank you.

For the curing nerds out there, and I know not everyone wants this much information, that said for those who are interested here is the process broken down.

1) Salt and nitrite are applied to the meat, this can be through brine or dry rub, for the purposes of my writing I’m using the dry rub. The salt diffuses into the meat bringing the nitrite with it. This diffusion happens as the result of osmosis. This process is natural and is an equalization of high salt percentage on the surface and low salt concentration in the center of the meat. The water in the center of the meat rushes outward to balance the high salt level. This is how salt extracts water from meat, diffusion and osmosis. As well the salt diffuses into the center of the meat to balance the lack of sodium.

2) The higher the salt concentration the faster this process proceeds. This is known as the Curing stage. That is, getting sufficient quantities of both sodium and nitrite into the meat to effect a “Cure”. This can be as fast as 48 hours or as slow as 7-10 days depending on salt percentage or concentration For meat pieces 3-4“ thick or less. Think loins, buckboard bacon and belly bacon. However we are not done just yet, and here is why.

3) While diffusion and osmosis have done their thing and we have sufficient quantities of both sodium and nitrite in the meat for a cure, the meat piece is not balanced. This is because different muscles have different cell structures, water content and density as well as various fat layers that slow this process down. As such the completion of osmosis is not finished. Some muscles have higher salt and nitrite than others. Now comes equalization or the completion of osmosis where everything needs time to come to balance or equilibrium. This step is critical to making the highest quality cured meats. This is “flavor development “ this is the same thing as adding ingredients to a stew (think cure) but then it needs to cook a while for flavor (think equalization) to be done.

In the old days cold smoking was incorporated into the equalization phase right after curing phase so that the smoke also had time to balance out. Take time, just one time to cure a piece of meat the long way, and you will be greatly rewarded for your efforts.

Reactions: DougE and indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky