Country Style Ribs w/Smoker Mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
Well, wanted to celebrate my new Knighthood with a Country Style Rib smoke ala Meowey. I had done a smoke mod on my GOSM charcoal smoker and wanted to see how it preformed. Was I in for a surprise. Prep on ribs was some Jeff's rib rub and MDM rib rub.

133302.jpg

I had found a wok plate in Wal-Mart. Never seen them there before, but saw the way it was done and thought it might work in my GOSM to elevate the coals and allow the ash to fall to the coal pan below.

133303.jpg

All I had to do was bend the handles on the charcoal pan, this allowed the wok to just set down on top of the pan.

133304.jpg

I could not get as many coals in this pan and lost the use of one rack in my GOSM. I was concerned about the lost of coals but that fear was soon removed.
Meowey stated his ribs were done at around 5 1/2 hours and 170 internal. I found after 1 1/2 hours, I had already reached 165*
eek.gif

The temps were up around 275*, even with vents half closed. I also pulled the sand pan and replaced with water to see if that would lower it. Normally I would maintain 225 to 250 tops. Even with the cooler temps out, I was still getting higher temps. Obviously due to the wok setup and better air flow. I will use less coals next time too.

133305.jpg

I had traded some fresh Speckled trout to a hunting friend in Orlando and got this hot pork sausage link.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Put it on when I wrapped the ribs in foil. Sausage got around 3 hours.

133306.jpg

Pulled the ribs and sausage at 5 hours. I was concerned that the ribs would be dry, but basically it turned out like pulled pork. Trying to lift one off the smoker saw it easily broke apart.

133307.jpg

Still a stellar dinner. Candy Corn and Salad along with Dewey's Dirt Road Bar-b-Que sauce that we whipped up for the first time. Excellent
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Wonderful dinner, the boss loved it.

Flash, that was a very good presentation. The food looks very tasty and here I am drooling again on the keyboard. Another fine job!!

You appeared to be struggling with the smoke...But it looks good to me. Smoke is not always going to go by the book. You just have to feel it out and let the smoker do the work...While you and Mr. Beer supervise...

Congrats and welcome to the brotherhood.

Nice job, Flash... but it almost sounds from the above quote like you are using the vents backwards? Open= lower temps, closed= higher

Oh..on edit...WHICH vents? Heh.

Side vents. I was attempting to cut air flow, thus lowering temps.

Yeah, always a struggle when attempting something new. I just didn't figure the temps would rise so high, so fast, even in this cold front of Florida weather at 83* outside
biggrin.gif

Very Good looking food there flash! Now why didn't you come to the smoke out so we could have tried some of that goodness.

Flash,

Most (and everything that I have seen personally) of what is sold down here as "country style ribs" is just the top part of the butt. That is why it basically turned out like pulled pork.

Sounds like this smoke make you work a bit. Good job getting through with a successful outcome.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky