Country Ham-Boneless?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kijim

Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Hi All,

I just discovered this website-looks like a lot of great stuff on here.

I am looking for some advice. I want to do a old fashioned salt/sugar dry cured smoked ham. I have done a lot of research and all I see are folks doing whole, bone in hams. The general method is to cure for 2 days per lb at temps generally under 40 deg and then hang for about 6 months. The biggest issue I see with the hams is spoilage around the bone-especially at the joints. I was thinking....wouldn't it be easier and better just to remove the bone? That would take out the cause of most failure, enable the cure to penetrate better, help in the drying process and make it easier to smoke.

Anybody ever do a boneless one?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky