Costco brisket shocker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Glenn

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Knoxville, Tenn
I made a Costco run today. I wasn’t interested in buying a brisket since I have a couple in the freezer but just checking out the meat isle. Briskets were $8.59 a pound!!! Holy cow. The last one I bought was $2.49. Guess I will smoke what I have in the freezer and then be done with beef other than ground beef.

Meat prices in my area have gone up like a ballistic missile.....You also just stand and look at the meat like you do watching a missile fire off as well...... We still have a honey hole for beef ribs at 2.49/lb, but the other place is now 8.99/lb.......... just nuts!

Reactions: sawhorseray
I lost all my meat in my freezer from the last hurricane. I'm waiting for something to go on sale so I can cook and replenish

My latest trek to a restaurant supplier had brisket flats at $8.79/lb. 2lba. - on "special" no less! I agree - it's ground beef time and see if beef knuckles have gone up yet. Forgot to check that after the fire for effect result of the brisket. 🍻
John

I bought spare ribs at my local butcher for $2/lb. less than Costco recently. The butcher always has excellent meat, but they charge accordingly. Also, the last beef plate short ribs I got at Costco were so fatty they were inedible.

Been a month since I shopped for brisket.
Picked up a Costco prime packer for my buddy at around $4/#
I bought a trimmed flat at Walmart for $6/# but worth it for me. I cannot handle a full packer nor the excess fat.

Local Sam's is not worth the visit these days.

Costco meats have gone to the moon. My local grocery stores are way better priced even though they are up from last year at this time

Hhhhmmmm, wonder why.... it's transitory though. If you you don't buy beef, chicken, or pork there is no real effect on food (chief economic advisor for the current administration).

I walked by the Costco meat section yesterday and the reach in’s were full near overflowing with meat and customers just lookie loos.
Glance at the prices and move on.

No way is this going to last.

In general, I've never found Costco to have the best prices on meats. In my area, its a very convenient place to get pork bellies as the chain markets don't carry them for the most part. They used to run $2.99/lb but now they're north of $4. I did just buy some lamb loin chops, and at $8.49/lb that was a steal compared to $25/lb at the butcher around the corner. Along with the lamb I grabbed a pork loin that was $2.09/lb, but those were normally in the $1.70 range so that ain't bad

The reduced cost of pet meds for my last dog is what used to make my membership worth it.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Costco Wholesale Corp. (COST) is having one of its strongest fiscal years in recent history. The company's robust sales growth has been fueled by customers sharply boosting their purchases of food and home goods as they have sheltered at home during the COVID-19 pandemic.

See this , I understand why the prices at Costco are up. They are not having as good a year as they wanted. So come on people , help out your local Costco store.
I for one am off to the bank to borrow some money as we want to have some BBQ this weekend

David

PS: 95% of my Costco shopping is for propane only as they are the cheapest anywhere around here

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
I like Costco quality.

Stater Bros, grocery chain out west sold the same quality as Costco.
Occasionally Staters had excellent price reduced sales compared to Costco. Usually monthly.

The last chain in the west with a legit, full service meat dept.

Then maybe a year back Staters changed suppliers and the drop in quality was dramatic. You could see it and taste it.

I still occasionally buy Staters meat by default and it’s a reminder that it’s a lesser product

My main smoking meats are tri tip and back ribs.
We taste a big drop in flavors and quality with all the grocery store meats.

Last edited:
Meat prices in my area have gone up like a ballistic missile.....You also just stand and look at the meat like you do watching a missile fire off as well...... We still have a honey hole for beef ribs at 2.49/lb, but the other place is now 8.99/lb.......... just nuts!

I went to Sam's yesterday in hope of scoring a rack of dino ribs. Butcher said $7.89lb, NO! I walked out with a pack of spares and some yardbird legs at 92¢ a pound. Two freezers stuffed to the gills, set for quite some time. RAY

Costco here in Long Island is still $2.99 lb for chop meat, everything else is too high. Even the sirloin caps are up to $11.99 for, $6.99 and that is not a very good cut

Insane. I was talking with my neighbor last night about how everything has just gone through the roof. People on lower fixed incomes can barely afford groceries. You cant find half the shit you need and when you can its considerably more than it was this time last year.

I told my kids TP was too expensive and they could just take turns hosing off each others asses in the yard. Wife vetoed that one pretty quick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky