Corned Beef Brisket Point

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
So I bought one of these Blarney Stone packaged corned beef brisket points at the market. You know they always have them around St Patrick's day. What I would like to do is smoke it like a normal brisket point to super tender and just make succulent bites out of it. Since I have never tried smoke one of these that's been prepared to be corned beef I am just looking for input. Do I cook it basically the same as a standard brisket just ensuring that I don't apply any more salt to the meat before it hits the smoker? Can I perhaps bleed out some of the salt with a water bath before I smoke it or is that even necessary? Can I not spice it at all and just pop it on the smoker as is? Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

George

You need to soak it in water for about 4 hours, changing the water at the 2 hour mark.
This will remove the excess salt. Then a coating of pastrami spices, personally I just use pepper & the packet that came with the corned beef.
Then smoke it like you would a brisket, to 200-205 IT.
Al

Reactions: david r
Thanks for the quick reply Al. That was what I was hoping for is a fairly simple prep time. If this comes out good then I will get a few more to keep in the freezer for various Summer cooks :)

George

Sounds good.. some people smoke those to like 190 one day and wrap it up on foil to chill overnight. Then steam it above water to like 203° the next day.
Hope you get to do it and it turns out great!

I’m going to try it either this weekend or next. All depends on the weather. It’s a pain to deal with the rain if I’m using the offset. If it isn’t going to rain Saturday then I will give it a whirl.

George

I did one awhile ago and it was still salty after the soak. It could have been the brand name I used(sorry can't remember). The next one I do I will soak it for a longer period of time, probably overnight. It tasted great just a little to salty. Check the sodium content on your package.

Chirs

280B6E48-3DA4-41C5-A188-9119FA9A4438.jpeg
Here we go. My little corned beef brisket point. Just before I popped it onto the smoker. I’m doing my first fatty with it as well.

I’ve run past the stall since nice I wrapped it. The rain is starting to get pretty heavy. So far I’ve still been able to hold the temp relatively well though. Just hit 171. I’m looking forward to making up some pseudo Ruben sandwiches this evening. I got some dark rye bread and I’ve got some really good thick cut Swiss cheese. I will take some shots after it is off the smoker and had a chance to rest properly. Enjoy your day

Reactions: Rings Я Us
22E5D9F1-2A5E-44B2-BD66-1FCC57CC3CA5.jpeg
Very pleased. It was not too salty. Seems like the soak was just right. The flavor was close to traditional pastrami but I could definitely taste the apple wood smoke. The spices weren’t traditional pastrami but it was so tasty. I got so caught up in how good it tasted that I didn’t get a shot of my sandwich. I’m certainly going to be doing this again. These pre-package corned beef are only 1.99 a pound right now. They usually drop even more after St Patrick’s day. I will keep my eye on the prices. Night all.

George

Reactions: stayhot
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky