Considering a smokehouse.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigdavejr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I have been looking at these little smoke houses with much envy and I am really considering building one. My question is I see mostly sausage and bacon can you do ribs, pulled pork and stuff like that? 

You can but you have to build it to withstand the higher temps. Many people smoke at lower temps so the temps don't get high enough to cause the smokehouse itself to catch fire or for the substrate to give off any toxic gasses.
I wouldn't be afraid to do some pulled pork or whatever in mine but to be honest I don't want to make a mess in there haha! Bacon and sausage doesn't make a mess :)

So lets say I was to build the smoke house from pine 36" wide 48" tall and 18" deep using a propane heat source and lined with aluminium flashing. Would this in theory be sufficient?

Thanks,

-Dave

I believe so, Dave. I would probably line the bottom area with tile or similar. Depending on your burner it may prove difficult to keep your temp low enough with a propane burner in a smokehouse of that size. 

Dave, evening and welcome to the forum..... Be sure to take pics of all the steps in your build....  I love pics.... Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky