Completely off topic--trailer was stolen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm no lawyer but I think he had a legal responsibility to keep your trailer safe and secure when he borrowed it. I think I'd see about a small claims case.

you got a 357 mag or bigger?
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

I don't know if anyone said this yet or not, but I had an issue one time with a land lord not paying me my deposit back, basically I payed him 1000 deposit and he said he used 800 of it to clean up the apartment after we left (a common land lord trick), I asked for a detailed invoice of the work he did that supposedly cost 800 bucks, and he told me to stick it up my you know where, I called and called to no avail, then I sent him a letter stating my intention to hire a lawyer and take him to small claims court and he payed up, I would just send this guy a letter certified mail saying the same thing, if he thinks you're serious enough to take him to court he'll probably just pay you the money rather than pay a lawyer and have a possible judgment filed against him...I know I would rather spend 800 bucks and not have to go to court.

by the way man, that sucks, sorry about your trailer, some people are scum bags, I hate thievery more than almost anything in the world.

I thought about that already. I have some family that lives in the area where he does and makes a random check on his way home to see if its out there. Nothing as of yet. Im surehe already has cash in his pocket and the trailer is long gone. I hope he dont think for a minute that im gonna forget about it. I will make stops by there from time to time and if i ever see it, I wont think twice about hooking up to it. If he has it, he will forget with time.

Very well put Caveman.

I would do anything to help anyone out, but its things like this that force me to be more of an a$$ and just tell people no. It just makes it more and more evident that you just cant trust people these days. And to talk to the guy he seemed like an alright kind of guy. Hell even seen him pushing some ladys car off the road when she broke down, and he didnt do it jsut to show me hes a good guy, he had no idea i was even around. I still want to believe he is genuine with his story and the guy just had a run of bad luck that day, but in the end, that dont put a trailer in my yard. I hate it for him, but I cant just write this off without some kind of effort to squeeze as much as I can out of him.

Thanks guys, Im gonna give him a call over the next couple of days and probably go ahead and file the papers on Monday. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

I'm not a Lawyer so I have no legal advice, But if you get a trailer buy the hitch ball that fits your trailer and cut the shank off and if you can padlock it to the tongue do it, just a little added security. I hope this will help next time

Trailers in this state are registered and titled, so you can obtain a trailer licence. Therefore if someone borrows a trailer, he or she should obtain the owners card before moving said trailer. If nothing was written down in paper, its one word against the other as far as ownership. Since you have all the legal documatation, you are the leagal owner. Therfore you must prove his neglagence in securing your trailer.
Personally I would suspect that he either knows who stoled your trailer or has something to do with the theft. A written statement that he was borrowing, and would secure your trailer would have helped your case. therefore I would take him to small claims court, and with your proof of ownership, try to prusue your case hopefully at the judges opinion that you are the legal owner, and lent with intent that the property would be returned by said lender.

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Good luck. I am pulling for you. Keep us updated & whatever you do, don't use a 357. Stupid is as stupid does. ( I would loan you my friends but they charge for flying.
tongue.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
)

(Hope that puts a smile on your face in face of an otherwise messed up situation.)

Where there is no "Smoking" allowed. Now who wants that? Not me.

Regardless of the outcome, insure your trailer next time. I pay roughly $10/month for my 20' car trailer's insurance. It will take 20 years of insurance premium before it equals what I paid for the trailer. As often as trailers get stolen, accidents happen, and careless friends borrow them it is well worth it to me.

i will definitely look into insurance next time, but even then I think I would still have to go after this guy. I am convinced that he has something to do with it being "stolen." just too many holes in his story.

Anyway nice Jeep you have there solaryellow, Ive got the ok from the boss/wife to paint mine yellow. I am still trying to get mine back on the road from a complete frame up rebuild (totaled it a couple years back). Nothing too big on it, just a 3.25 RC susp lift and gonna stuff some 33s under it. its road ready minus some terrible death wobble i just cant seem to get fixed.

Post pics of it once you get it painted and the lift/tires are on.
biggrin.gif

Good luck with tracking down the source of your death wobble. I chased mine once for two years and pretty much rebuilt the entire front end before figuring out the issue. Was very frustrating.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

Yeah its going to have to come to just slinging parts at it until its fixed. Might start with the wheels and tires since i need new ones anyway. hopefully that will fix it, but im very doubtful. Its sure been frustrating tho.

ok, so the saga is still going on. I talked to a lawyer and he said no question about it, i should take him to small claims court and any decent judge should find him responsible to pay. But getting him to pay would be another story. So I have been calling him for the past 4 days with no answer or return call until i left him a message about filing the case later this week. He called me back fairly quickly this time. He had nerve enough to say this was my fault for letting him borrow the trailer to start with. and let me tell you how that went straight through me. I told him it was dumb on my part, but he was ultimately responsible for its return. A few more blah blahs and he said well if you have to take me to court then thats what you have to do. Told him thanks for making it so easy for me. We talked a bit and he asked me to give him some time to come up with some money before i take him to court. So long story short, I settled with him for $650 paid on the 18th of May. Told him that if i didnt see it in full on the 18th, I would file on the 19th. So we will see what happens, at least at this point he is telling me he would pay me for it.

On another note, my buddy that had the drywall work done ended up having someone else come in to fix that guys handywork at a cost of another $525.

i was wondering about this.......at least you might get an easy resolution...............hopefully.

After you get some $$ make sure you file with the BBB and the contractors lic board

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky