Competition Chicken Thighs w/QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kanealmond

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Boone, NC
This is the first cook of three that I have planned for this long weekend. First and foremost, thank you to all who have served our great country and especially to the ones who didn't make it home. We wouldn't be able to do all the things we enjoy without your service.

I'm doing some competition chicken practice today. Same technique as usual, but switching up brine/rub recipe with hopes of extra flavor. The last comp scores were all over. Some judges loved it, some thought it was middle of the road. So, back to the drawing board!

I start by cutting the fat off the back of the skin to make it thinner and crispier. I then brined in Butchers Bird Booster. First time trying this brand but I've read good reviews. I brined for about an hour then took it out and patted dry, rubbed with Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, and reapplied the skins. In to the fridge for a few hours to dry out the skin.

I then put them in a pan with a stick of melted butter. They cook like this for an hour at 300 degrees skin side up.

After an hour, they went on the grate with some good hickory smoke until they hit 165 IT.

After 30 minutes directly on the grate they were all about 170 IT. Pulled them and dunked in the sauce.

The chicken turned out being great. Excellent bite through skin and incredibly juicy.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!

Looks great,I think brining takes more time to be effective but I could be wrong.

I've experimented with it. There's a million opinions online about how long to brine. I've always just stuck to an hour or so for thighs and wings. I taste my brine in the meat even after only an hour. I'm definitely open to input though. How long do you normally brine thighs b-one? It's all a learning process for me so any advice you have would be appreciated!

I had to give you a point Kane!

Your getting good at this!

The thighs look like winners to me!

Al

That is some good looking chicken......sounds like you might have it figured out!!

Points! 
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky