Colombian Chorizo Done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I showing the whole process so if someone see's something I doing wrong let me know. Ground 1 kg meat through the coarse blade.

IMG_20240427_091319501.jpg IMG_20240428_094240623.jpg

Added seasonings.

IMG_20240428_092120527.jpg IMG_20240428_094642941.jpg

Protein Extraction.

IMG_20240428_095219460.jpg

Let sit over night. Added 60 ml red wine before stuffing. I had a heck of time with these casings. This is what I bought. I used I think is Rick's method of changing water over a day than let sit for 3 days in water in fridge. I still have unused in fridge. I guess just take out of water and cover with salt? I only have a 3' piece of counter top for working and cupboards above. Had to open dish washer to be able to clamp and verily miss cupboards with handle. Going to have to figure something else out for next time. Maybe mount stuffer to a board with rubber on bottom. Had a bit of a time getting casing on tube. I believe its the 3/4". Had quite a time stuffing. Had a blowout. Ended up just putting everything back in and start over. About the same problem this time also. I think I figured out towards the end the sausage was sticking to table while coming out making it bunch up. At least I got something that resembles sausage in the end. I was fairly frustrated by this time. I think I can do better next time I hope. Probably need to find some kind of table to use.

IMG_20240501_065224941_HDR.jpg IMG_20240429_092643048_HDR.jpg

Into the MES40 at 140 with dust in mailbox. At 3 hours went to look and mailbox lid had opened and tray was burned up so just went ahead and pulled. Into 165 degree water. Only took about 15 minutes to get to 150. Let rest for a day. Sausage is very good!

IMG_20240429_124611072.jpg IMG_20240429_125446063_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240429_130605693.jpg

IMG_20240430_173419550.jpg

Some strawberry pie without crust to finish

IMG_20240430_182705163.jpg

I would like to thank everyone that helped me with this and I I-am-Chorizo for getting this started. Special Thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge .

Last edited:
went ahead and pulled. Into 165 degree water. Only took about 15 minutes to get to 150. Let rest for a day. Sausage is very good!
Brian , you nailed that ! Looks perfect .
Poaching these on the stove is the only way to fly for me . Quick and easy finish .
I still have unused in fridge. I guess just take out of water and cover with salt?
Salt the water and store them wet . Be ready to go , and nice and soft .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I showing the whole process so if someone see's something I doing wrong let me know. Ground 1 kg meat through the coarse blade.

View attachment 695825View attachment 695822

Added seasonings.

View attachment 695823View attachment 695821

Protein Extraction.

View attachment 695820

Let sit over night. Added 60 ml red wine before stuffing. I had a heck of time with these casings. This is what I bought. I used I think is Rick's method of changing water over a day than let sit for 3 days in water in fridge. I still have unused in fridge. I guess just take out of water and cover with salt? I only have a 3' piece of counter top for working and cupboards above. Had to open dish washer to be able to clamp and verily miss cupboards with handle. Going to have to figure something else out for next time. Maybe mount stuffer to a board with rubber on bottom. Had a bit of a time getting casing on tube. I believe its the 3/4". Had quite a time stuffing. Had a blowout. Ended up just putting everything back in and start over. About the same problem this time also. I think I figured out towards the end the sausage was sticking to table while coming out making it bunch up. At least I got something that resembles sausage in the end. I was fairly frustrated by this time. I think I can do better next time I hope. Probably need to find some kind of table to use.

View attachment 695826View attachment 695818

Into the MES40 at 140 with dust in mailbox. At 3 hours went to look and mailbox lid had opened and tray was burned up so just went ahead and pulled. Into 165 degree water. Only took about 15 minutes to get to 150. Let rest for a day. Sausage is very good!

View attachment 695817View attachment 695816

View attachment 695815

View attachment 695827

I would like to thank everyone that helped me with this and I I-am-Chorizo for getting this started. Special Thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge .
Wow!

You have made some really 1st class Colombian chorizos There. A lot of "fine tunning" in your process rendered great results. Congratulations!

That looks fantastic Brian! Very nice job.

Before stuffing take out the amount of casing you will need, rinse them and flush water through the casing. Place in a bowl with enough water to cover, then add about 1/4 tsp. Baking soda and stir and let sit while you get everything ready, this will help slick up the casing and help loading them on the stuffing tube , will also help the casing slide on counter. You can also try stuffing onto a sheet pan.

Again, your sausage looks real good.
Maybe look into using the kitchen table or buy one of those plastic topped fold up picnic tables from Wally World that you could dedicate for this type of thing.

Last edited:
Man that looks tasty. Strong work. I'm jumping on this myself after work. Not sure if I'm going to smoke them though.
And yes to the baking soda. It makes things much easier IMHO. Also, I bought a huge sheet pan to stuff onto.

Last edited:

View attachment 695825View attachment 695822

Added seasonings.

View attachment 695823View attachment 695821

Protein Extraction.

View attachment 695820

View attachment 695826View attachment 695818

View attachment 695817View attachment 695816

View attachment 695815

View attachment 695827

Some strawberry pie without crust to finish

View attachment 695846

Looks like it turned out great. I do agree with the other post. Try Syracuse Casing next time. Their quality of casing is the best i have found. Also, beware of the small packs of casing as this can be the "waste" or unsellable casing to large companies so they sell it to us instead.

Baking soda in the water soaking with the casings prior to stuffing is not a game changer but is definitely a level up on casing quality. Makes them slick and more supple.
Good to know, thanks. I've had a few sticky ones in the past.

Brian , you nailed that ! Looks perfect .
Poaching these on the stove is the only way to fly for me . Quick and easy finish .

Salt the water and store them wet . Be ready to go , and nice and soft .
Thanks Rich.

Nice job Brian! Sausage looks good!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan
Nice work! Those looks delish!
Thanks Dave
For a first run that looks great to me! I'd not turn down a pound or two!

Jim
Thanks Jim
First try’s are always a learning curve…but your first try looks spot on. Very nice!
Thanks eddie

Wow!

You have made some really 1st class Colombian chorizos There. A lot of "fine tunning" in your process rendered great results. Congratulations!
Thanks
That looks fantastic Brian! Very nice job.

Before stuffing take out the amount of casing you will need, rinse them and flush water through the casing. Place in a bowl with enough water to cover, then add about 1/4 tsp. Baking soda and stir and let sit while you get everything ready, this will help slick up the casing and help loading them on the stuffing tube , will also help the casing slide on counter. You can also try stuffing onto a sheet pan.

Again, your sausage looks real good.
Maybe look into using the kitchen table or buy one of those plastic topped fold up picnic tables from Wally World that you could dedicate for this type of thing.
Thanks Eric. This would not of happened without you. No real kitchen table but going to come up with something.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Man that looks tasty. Strong work. I'm jumping on this myself after work. Not sure if I'm going to smoke them though.
And yes to the baking soda. It makes things much easier IMHO. Also, I bought a huge sheet pan to stuff onto.
Thanks
Looks like it turned out great. I do agree with the other post. Try Syracuse Casing next time. Their quality of casing is the best i have found. Also, beware of the small packs of casing as this can be the "waste" or unsellable casing to large companies so they sell it to us instead.
Thanks. I will be getting some of those casings.
The only thing you did wrong is not feed me any of that!! Seriously you nailed it.
Thanks Jeff. Of course couple guys at river got some.

Looks great to me.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky