Collagen Casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do your casings say to store them in the fridge?  I've always kept mine on a shelf but they need to stay dry and probably don't crush them.   I believe they last a very long time if the don't get damp

Do your casings say to store them in the fridge?  I've always kept mine on a shelf but they need to stay dry and probably don't crush them.   I believe they last a very long time if the don't get damp

They actually sold them to me from a case, the guy just took out 5 strands I asked for and put them in a brown paper bag for me.  I didn't even think to ask how long they would last. 

Edit: The guy took the case out of the fridge.

Last edited:
Maybe he kept them in the fridge to keep them dry?  If someone knows better I will store mine like that but never had a problem with just leaving them in the pantry out of the way.

I have a package in the fridge that I bought last year from The Sausage Maker.  The instruction say that if they are too dry to work with, store in the fridge so I just left them in the original package and keep them in there.  Saving them for some bratwurst that I'll be making shortly.

I have a package in the fridge that I bought last year from The Sausage Maker.  The instruction say that if they are too dry to work with, store in the fridge so I just left them in the original package and keep them in there.  Saving them for some bratwurst that I'll be making shortly.
I have bought those ones before from the sausage maker and I just kept them in the fridge as well.  bratwurst sounds great!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky