Cold smoke, too much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
GREAT explanation Dernek! Your info makes sense. It comes back to Smoking Meat is an Art, with a bit of Science to help us get Consistency. Line up 10 samples of 1" Thick, Apple Wood Smoked Bacon. Cured 7 days with Salt, Sugar and Cure #1, only, and you got TEN DIFFERENT FLAVORS OF BACON. It's the Artisan that varies Smoke Time, Rest or No Rest during 72 hours of Smoking, More or less Sugar and/or Salt used and so forth. They all are GREAT but personal taste identifies which one is BEST. Thank you very much for taking the time to elaborate...JJ
Now when you mentioned more or less sugar.... back in days, when my job as preteen and teen was to tend grandpas smoked meat burning smoke, I learn from my grampa hero that sugar actually preserve natural redness of meat... he never used prague cure or anything commercial,.... he used natural SaltPeter.....Now, nova days, in part, we use nitrate and nitrites to preserve natural meat colour and I am still confused about sugar part.. . lol. .

I don't know where you guys get bugs in your Kiln Dried Woods.
Like I said earlier, My Hardwoods "FASS2S" never came in with bark on it, and they were all subjected to too high a heat in the Kiln for any bugs to survive. They didn't need to be chemically treated.
And what makes "Air Dried" wood chemical free? How about the Wood used to make pellets? None of that was sprayed for bugs & fungus?

In Short---There is ZERO Chemicals on or in Hardwood scraps from a Cabinet Shop.

Bear
Bottom line: bugs or no bugs they all get burnt and smoked adding flavour to smoked meat... dust to dust , ash to ash.. not a big deal.. lol...

Chef jj, Looking back at the Benton's video, the 3 days continuous smoke may be a trade off they made in order to streamline large scale production...Instead of smoking for 7 days, for 12 hours a day....they smoke 3 days continuous then rest for 4. This saves them from having to move the heavy bacon racks in and out of the smoker 14 times...that's a lot of man hours added up.....
Let me play devils advocate for second... what if they use liquid smoke injection and afterwards at slightly higer smoke temperature seal meat surface and let liquid smoke to work its way in in time from shipping to consumer selling ..

@Bearcarver I think for me it's because the mill is small, so less product movement/logs laying around. You make a good point about the bark though... Never thought of that. Funny story (not really), I need to move a few thousand BF now that the FIL house is getting sold!

Any spray was only on the surface . By the time it's ripped and planed one side ,,,, it's gone , or was never there in the first place .

Let me play devils advocate for second... what if they use liquid smoke injection and afterwards at slightly higer smoke temperature seal meat surface and let liquid smoke to work its way in in time from shipping to consumer selling ..
No, they show the process step by step in the video...no injections...
Though most commercial bacon sold is pumped, then cooked via. a shower of hot water and liquid smoke...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky