Colander Recommendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Allowed

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
The Low Country of South Carolina
I am wanting an expandable over the sink colander.
Something like this maybe
1694523497685.png

Prefer stainless steel, I think, and probably a perforated basket as opposed to mesh. I'd like a capacity of 5-6 quarts or more and it needs to fit across a sink that is 19" wide. I have looked at them online and read so many reviews that I'm dizzy so I am reaching out here for real world experiences and recommendations.

What have you got?

Reactions: JLeonard
We have one very similar to the one in your picture.
It expands to 22" and the basket is 6-1/2"W x 13-1/2"L x 4"D.
If it had a square bottom and corners it would hold 351 cu in.
How that translates to quarts, is too much for my brain to think about this morning.

How that translates to quarts, is too much for my brain to think about this morning.
the Googlelator says that's a little over 6 quarts

RG

Reactions: 02ebz06
How do you like it? Reading through a gazillion reviews on multiple different ones, several complaints have been rust issues, difficult to clean especially where the basket connects to the metal band around the top, and separating at that same band. Quite a few complained that when emptying the colander, food would get between the band and the basket and it could be very difficult to clean out.

My complaint with some I've looked at is the lack of dimensions of the basket and the pictures don't really do me any good with nothing to compare to.

I've looked at a few plastic ones and the biggest complaint most have with them is they break after a short time.

How do you like it? Reading through a gazillion reviews on multiple different ones, several complaints have been rust issues, difficult to clean especially where the basket connects to the metal band around the top, and separating at that same band. Quite a few complained that when emptying the colander, food would get between the band and the basket and it could be very difficult to clean out.

My complaint with some I've looked at is the lack of dimensions of the basket and the pictures don't really do me any good with nothing to compare to.

I've looked at a few plastic ones and the biggest complaint most have with them is they break after a short time.
We have had it for a few years and I don't see any signs of rust.
No problems with food getting stuck.
However, we don't use it heavily, so maybe over time it might rust.
I don't know.

Reactions: Smoking Allowed
Think mine is a kitchen aid and has stainless mess, all sealed so stuff cant get in and the handles pull out to fit anything looks like a 4qt, no rust after 6-8 years

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky