CI Grilled Deep Dish Stuffed Crust Pizzas (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We have a good friend that is a vegetarian and very picky about her food....as well as who prepares it. She only eats food that's she's made and never goes to restaurants. Finally, after many years, she has started trusting me to cook for her. One of her favorite meals is a good, hearty, loaded, deep dish pizza. She came to dinner last night and I pulled out all the stops putting together something I really wanted her to enjoy. Started the Foccacia dough at noon. When it was finished on the dough cycle in the bread machine, it went into a bowl and out to the patio too proof for a couple hours in the hot afternoon sun. I made two totally different pies so this is basically two posts in one.

The dough after being out on the patio. It quadrupled in size.
001.jpg

12 ounce package of my homemade spicy Italian sausage
002.jpg

Divide the dough 2/3 and 1/3. Roll it out in the CI skillets and trim the edges so it's neat and clean
003.jpg

The dough kit comes with an herb packet that is mixed with olive oil. 2 T go into the dough and the rest is saved for later. This is the rest
004.jpg

Brush the EVOO and herb mix onto the dough
005.jpg

Line the outsides with sliced Cooper's extra sharp American cheese with pepper. This cheese is incredible!!
006.jpg

Fold the edges down and seal the dough all around the skillet
007.jpg

Veggie pizza first. Homemade marinara, red onions, green bell pepper, artichoke hearts, and Pepperoncini peppers.
008.jpg

Green olives, Kalamata olives, and thin sliced zucchini
009.jpg

Now we move to mine: the meat lovers version. Marinara and a half pound of the spicy Italian sausage
010.jpg

A few onions and peppers to keep the nutritionist happy
011.jpg

Homemade pepperoni
012.jpg

Lotsa mozz on both, a good shot of crushed red pepper, and a healthy portion of my spicy pickled garlic
013.jpg

An hour and a half putting these together and they are finally on the grill
014.jpg

10 minutes or so into the cook and they are taking shape. Grill is running about 425
015.jpg

Veggie pizza all done
016.jpg

Mine all done
017.jpg

Out of the skillets to slice
018.jpg

The veggie version sliced. Couple of pics
019.jpg

020.jpg

Mine sliced. Couple of pics
021.jpg

022.jpg

These were a huge amount of time and work putting together but oh so worth it. Best pizzas I've ever made by far. The Foccacia bread makes an outrageous crust, the idea I got from our good friend Steve H Steve H a while ago. Last time I tried stuffed crust I just used thin slices of mozz and it was a waste of time and effort. There was no cheese to speak of in the crust. This time using larger slices and the addition of the Cooper's cheese, it was a whole different story. I don't typically eat the pizza bones. Just gnaw to the bone and stop. Not this time!! That stuffed crust was the star. Of course using all fresh veggies and everything else being homemade makes a huge difference over carry-out pizza. All in all an outcome worthy of the time and effort.

Finally gonna call this one done. Thanks for dropping in and hopefully you made it through without falling asleep. Take care, have a great weekend, and see everybody soon.

Robert

Another great looking meal Robert!
We like veggie pizza & make it more than a meat one. But never made it in a CI pan. Gonna give that a try!
Al

Another great looking meal Robert!
We like veggie pizza & make it more than a meat one. But never made it in a CI pan. Gonna give that a try!
Appreciate it Al. Starting to use the CI utensils for pizza has been a game changer. They cook so evenly all the way around and just seem to create better flavors than conventional pans.

Robert

Those pizza's look amazing Robert. I've seen sharp American cheese on the grocers shelf, but never tried it. I also love stuff crust, but usually use string cheese for it. Thanks for the ideas.

Point for sure
Chris

If I didn't already have things prepped for cracker barrel hashbrown casserole. I'd be doing this tonight. Fantastic bud!

That’s some great looking pizza Robert, I know you’re a meat guy but I would have snuck a few pieces of the veggie one, that one looks incredible too!

Cooper is such a great melting cheese, pretty cool idea to incorporate it in the pizza crust, makes looking forward to eating it instead of stopping and getting a new slice.

I'll take a couple slices of the meat and one of the veggie (just so I can say I ate semi-healthy). Great looking pies Robert.
Jim

What a great set of pizzas. Cast Iron for deep dish is something I've got to try. You are not helping my waist line Robert! :emoji_laughing:

Looks delicious!
Thanks so much. I appreciate it.
Those pizza's look amazing Robert. I've seen sharp American cheese on the grocers shelf, but never tried it. I also love stuff crust, but usually use string cheese for it. Thanks for the ideas.
Thank you Chris. That extra sharp cheese with the pepper in it is amazing. A total game changer for a lot of things. This is just one of them. Makes a great queso to put over eggs in the morning also :emoji_wink:
If I didn't already have things prepped for cracker barrel hashbrown casserole. I'd be doing this tonight. Fantastic bud!
Very much appreciate the kind words my friend. A good pizza is hard to eat....especially now that I kinda got them figured out :emoji_wink:

Robert

A fine piece of work there Robert, I'd be liking the one with the meat!
Thank you my friend...and I kinda likes the meat version also. One day I'm gonna make a steak pizza...with mashed taters, gravy, and a salad :emoji_laughing:
Robert, I crown you Pizza King! Your pies look just perfect!

We actually have a dececnt day i think. Off to the Red River for a few beers.
That's an undeserving crown but thank you Brian. One of these days you're gonna walk into that place for beers and find me sitting there waiting for you :emoji_wink:
Great looking pizzas!
Thank you Justin. I appreciate it sir.

Robert

That’s some great looking pizza Robert, I know you’re a meat guy but I would have snuck a few pieces of the veggie one, that one looks incredible too!

Cooper is such a great melting cheese, pretty cool idea to incorporate it in the pizza crust, makes looking forward to eating it instead of stopping and getting a new slice.
I doubt you would have snuck in a couple pieces unless that was all you ate. That thing was enormous and weighed a ton. I know what you mean about the Cooper and please remember, you're the one who turned me onto the pepper version in our Christmas exchange. We love that stuff and are on our third 10 pound block of it.
I'll take a couple slices of the meat and one of the veggie (just so I can say I ate semi-healthy). Great looking pies Robert.
Well drop on in Jim. i;ll load you up a plate...and thanks for the kind words.
Nice! I'm more of a thin crust kinda guy, But I could tear up that meat lovers pizza! Good job, I bet your friend liked it!
Thanks Keith. The bottom crust is pretty thin. It just looks think around the outside due to rolling it over the cheese and then it poofs up when cooked. I'm not a big thick crust fan and prefer a higher goodie to bread ratio.

Robert

What a great set of pizzas. Cast Iron for deep dish is something I've got to try. You are not helping my waist line Robert!
Very much appreciate the kind words Matt. I'll be honest my friend, going to CI for pizza making was the game changer for me / us. It makes a huge difference in the finished product and I can't ever see myself making a pizza any other way. As for your waist line, sorry about that but that's kinda what this forum is all about :emoji_wink:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky