Chicken Barbecue Lollipops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I my post from a couple of days ago, Mexican Drumstick Lollipops, I did a dry version of drumstick lollipops. I had purchased a bulk back of drumsticks and only used 1/2 on those. I decided to do wet version with the remaining drumsticks and try a couple of other differences in the techniques.

I started by cutting around the bone in the drumsticks just where the meat starts to thicken.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 1.jpg

I pulled the skin and meat below the cut over the knuckle and removed it. Unlike the first cook, Didn't cut the knuckle off this time.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 2.jpg

I cut a flat spot in the top of each drumsticks so they would stand flat.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 3.jpg

I saved the trimmings for my next batch of chicken stock.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 4.jpg

I gave the lollipops a generous dusting of my basic barbecue rub.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 5.jpg

I preheated my smoker to 325 F. The picture shows that we are well into our mountain winter.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 6.jpg

I put the drumsticks standing up on a smoking sheet and smoked them for about 1 hour to an internal temperature of 165 F.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 7.jpg
SMF Barbecue Lollipops 8.jpg

I brushed them with Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 9.jpg

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 10.jpg

I put the lollipops back on the smoking tray and smoked for about 30 minutes to set the sauce.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 11.jpg

The finished product.

SMF Barbecue Lollipops 12.jpg

The Verdict
Both the dry and wet lollipops are great but the wet ones in this smoke are definitely my favourite. The spicy/sweet taste really hits the spot. Of course, She Who Must Be Obeyed preferred the dry Mexican version but fortunately liked both so I will be able to alternate. I don't know whether I prefer the lollipops with the knuckle on or off. You pick the one you like.

Disco

Yes sir! I don't care what they say about you Canucks, I like your cookin'. I like the knuckle on,more primal !
I have some brats over pecan/apple smoking now.Been on a pecan kick lately :)

Bill

Awesome, Disco!! :)
Like.

I believe those are a lot easier to eat than to Prepare!!

Bear

Yes sir! I don't care what they say about you Canucks, I like your cookin'. I like the knuckle on,more primal !
I have some brats over pecan/apple smoking now.Been on a pecan kick lately :)

Bill
Har! Thanks for the vote on the bone! However, you have caused me grief. I am out of brats and will be busy for a while and now I am jealous!

Thanks! If you live in the mountains it is beautiful in every direction!
Was beautiful when I was up in the Parks with my dad. We took a nice 17 day 5,600 mile round trip from Detroit up through Montana and Wyoming, then to Banf and Jasper parks. Every turn and bend in the mountain road gives a new spectacular view.

Was beautiful when I was up in the Parks with my dad. We took a nice 17 day 5,600 mile round trip from Detroit up through Montana and Wyoming, then to Banf and Jasper parks. Every turn and bend in the mountain road gives a new spectacular view.
You went right past where I live then!

You went right past where I live then!
We took 93/95 after going through and staying in Our big park . Yellowstone. We went through the Glacier park I believe.. Kalispell and Whitefish up there . BEAUTIFUL!
I suggest to people if they like the Rockies here, they ain't seen nothing till they go up to the Canadian section.. Much bigger stuff.

We took 93/95 after going through and staying in Our big park . Yellowstone. We went through the Glacier park I believe.. Kalispell and Whitefish up there . BEAUTIFUL!
I suggest to people if they like the Rockies here, they ain't seen nothing till they go up to the Canadian section.. Much bigger stuff.
I love Yellowstone and Jackson Hole is a really cool place. I have several buddies in Montana in the Flathead and travel there. I love the whole mountain range!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky