Charcoal & Wood or Just Wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I actually just created a thread that is near to this topic. I start off with the coal chimney and then load wood. My question to everyone here is do you continue to use smoke wood for the rest of the cook? I've had friends say that the meat is too smokey. The only thing I can think of to prevent that is to either foil it (which I don't want to do) or go back to coal at some point. (jeff's recipes typically have "smoke" half of the cook time if memory serves)

Yes, I use wood for the remainder of the smoke. If the food is to smokey then you aren't burning a clean fire. You don't want smoke coming out that looks like a diesel truck going up a hill. You want clean, blue smoke as they call it coming from your stack. Few factors play a role into achieving this such as dry wood, enough air flow, etc...It takes a little practice getting it just right.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl0wingsm0ke
Yes, I use wood for the remainder of the smoke. If the food is to smokey then you aren't burning a clean fire. You don't want smoke coming out that looks like a diesel truck going up a hill. You want clean, blue smoke as they call it coming from your stack. Few factors play a role into achieving this such as dry wood, enough air flow, etc...It takes a little practice getting it just right.

Very true. I notice I have to let my new splits catch and burn for a bit before shutting the main firebox door, while I leave the side door wide open. Stack is also wide open.

Reactions: ReelFaster
Very true. I notice I have to let my new splits catch and burn for a bit before shutting the main firebox door, while I leave the side door wide open. Stack is also wide open.

Absolutely I do the same thing sometimes when too much smoke generated!

New to SMF... but this topic is exactly what I was hoping to read. Just bought a used Lyfe Tyme pit. It is a stick burner, but I used A mix of Royal Oak and cowboy lump charcoal the first time I cooked. Added a little bit of Oak and Apple for flavor cooking two Boston butts. My dad helped me a lot since he is used to this type of cooking, but I would like to transition to using wood only. Just afraid of ruining the meat with too much smoke. Is kiln dried wood necessary? What about locally sourced seasoned oak? Bark removed? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
New to SMF... but this topic is exactly what I was hoping to read. Just bought a used Lyfe Tyme pit. It is a stick burner, but I used A mix of Royal Oak and cowboy lump charcoal the first time I cooked. Added a little bit of Oak and Apple for flavor cooking two Boston butts. My dad helped me a lot since he is used to this type of cooking, but I would like to transition to using would only. Just afraid of ruining the meat with too much smoke. Is kiln dried wood necessary? What about locally sources seasoned oak? Bark removed? Thanks guys.

Hi Max, kiln dried wood is not necessary. You can obtain a good clean smoke with locallly sourced wood as long as it has been properly seasoned. Stick with your hard Woods. There’s a variety of oak out there along with mesquite and hickory. Fruit woods like apple, pecan and cherry are some of my favorites and I accompany those with one of the first three I mentioned. Over smoking is not really an issue as long as you run a good hot coal bed to get new sticks to start immediately and get it through the white smoke phase faster. What you want is referred to as thin blue smoke which is almost invisible coming out of you stack. Hope this helped.

Reactions: Max H
Hi Max, kiln dried wood is not necessary. You can obtain a good clean smoke with locallly sourced wood as long as it has been properly seasoned. Stick with your hard Woods. There’s a variety of oak out there along with mesquite and hickory. Fruit woods like apple, pecan and cherry are some of my favorites and I accompany those with one of the first three I mentioned. Over smoking is not really an issue as long as you run a good hot coal bed to get new sticks to start immediately and get it through the white smoke phase faster. What you want is referred to as thin blue smoke which is almost invisible coming out of you stack. Hope this helped.
Exactly what I needed... thanks dcecil!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky