Charcoal storage

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by joe black, Mar 16, 2015.

1. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Will charcoal stay dry in a poly deck box on an outside patio. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I use a trash can never had a problem.

3. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Beware condensation. I tried to protect a Lodge Sportsman grill by keeping it in a plastic tub, but it rusted anyway because it sweated during temperature swings.

If you're going to dedicate a container for this, consider drilling some vent holes.

4. joe black

Thanks, Blue Whisper. I had not thought about condensation and the holes are a good idea. I keep about 50-60# of lump at a time and the boss wants it out of the garage.

5. tropics

Joe you are talking Charcoal for burning? Not a BBQ Grill or smoker ?

6. joe black

Yes, Charcoal lumps and some briquettes.

7. tropics

Deck box is way better then my trash can.

8. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

I got that lecture about moving out of the garage about six months ago...

So I bought a shed from HD and have my little man cave out back!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have my weber gasser, WSM, kettle and original mini on my patio...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. You might want to cut the grass. It would be bad if a snake got into your wood. I would also spray around it for pest & termites.

10. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welsh, I wonder how many of us are looking at those pics and thinking That's like my garage!

11. joe black

Thanks, Welshrarebit. The shed is a good idea, but I live in a garden home community and the shed is probably bigger than my backyard. BTW, I've enjoyed your post name ever since I started reading this site. When we were young, we really liked for Mom to make welch rabbit. It was always a treat. I had never eaten rabbit any other way. Thanks, Joe

12. We folks have a true smoker. Man got kicked out of his garage....... Did he apologize? did he ask to stay? No he did not. He purchased a smoker storage shed. That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. joe black

At least she didn't give him a chop in his loin, a poke in the ribs and a kick in the butt. She just removed his ash, let him season for a while and then burn out.

14. Kingsford markets a charcoal storage bin that will hold better than a 40# bag of charcoal. Has a plastic snap on cover with a snap open door for pouring out the charcoal. Very convenient. I got mine at Lowe's.