Charcoal Ring for Weber OTS Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netbbq

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Northeast TN
Looking for ideas for creating a charcoal ring of sorts in order to perform longer cooks and to also have opportunity for indirect heating.  I also want to keep the charcoal off the sides of the kettle since I have heard this is not ideal.

I don't have access to a welder or expanded steel, so what I was thinking was to get several lengths of 100% aluminum gutter guard (if there is such a thing) and create a donut shaped ring (interior and exterior) so I can put a round pan in the middle for water, drippings, etc.  

The idea also would be to use a modified minion method to have un-lit coals partway around the ring and then use lit coals to start the  minion to start the other coals burning.  I've seen someone do this with expanded steel and where I got the idea, but looking for something me and others could readily accomplish.

Can this be done with expanded aluminum gutter guards?  Is this "food safe"?

Figure I can find some sort of heavy gauge wire to make the connections?

Thoughts?

My thought is why make a ring?  Just pour the coal in a circle light it and go.  But that's not going to give you much room to place something in the middle indirect. 

If I am doing a small butt or a rack of ribs I just bank the coals one one side and place the meat on the other side.  I've been doing it for 20+ yrs with NO problem. 

I'm curious: If you build a ring won't the coals be banked on the sides of the grill all the way around?  If so, why not bank them on one side?

X2 on your response. Same comment on the other post. If no issue with coals being against side of kettle, this the way to go. Thx

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky