challenge - name three flavors that (together) best compliment beef!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Salt & black pepper are gimmes. Garlic is a no-brainer. Worcestershire sauce (which has garlic, salt, onion, among many other things) is the perfect complement to beef, in my opinion. As far as herbs, thyme is synonymous with beef dishes and can be part of any dry rub for beef. Wanna make your brisket taste even beefier? Inject it with concentrated beef broth. Tastes great! What could go better with beef than more beef, right? As far as wood smoke goes, hickory & mesquite are great when grilling burgers, but they can easily become overpowering when used alone in a smoker. For low-and-slow smoking, I like to use pecan wood. It has a flavor that lends itself very well to beef without becoming too strong after a long period of time.

If you can have only 3 then it will be Kosher salt, cracked blk pepper and for the 3rd it will be a pan of Au Jus under the brisket to catch the drippings, use as a mop if needed, and of course after removing the grease from the top, the best dipping sauce for a sammie in the world. It is only 3 but they are multi-tasking. Thats what we had for the 4th.

everyone pretty much agrees, and i'd have to say i do as well. thanks for the replies!

i've got some beef short ribs going on this weekend, and will put some of this to use. I'm thinking of giving them a bit of a basque treatment by improvising a kalimoxto (red wine and cola) glaze, near the end, but for the seasoning and cooking, it's pretty much going to be kosher salt, CBP, granlated onion and garlic, and that's probably it.

report to follow!

Corn on the cob, roasted red potato, and a cold beer.  When served at a picnic table on a warm sunny day this is ALWAYS a hit.

please note the beef should be carefully salted, heavily pepered and garlic to taste.

i am very found of a few base combinations. from there i tweak per type of beef

for "wet" i love the combination of Jack Daniels,Soy Sauce(low sodium) and Worchestershire (spelling aside).

from there it's wide open on what to add liquid wise.

for dry i like salt, pepper,garlic

from there i add things as needed. I really like cumin on rare to med rare type serving. I am becoming fond of adding a little coffee(ala cowboy rubs) when i blacken a steak.

When I do rib eye steaks, I like to use Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning and add some fresh ground black pepper...just the right blend of what most have already stated...IMHO.

Not counting salt, I'd say thyme, garlic, pepper.  Thyme, especially fresh thyme, is THE best seasoning for beef--it seems to bring out beef's buttery flavor components.  In fact, for roast beef, meatloaf, beef stews and vegetable beef soup I use mostly thyme, never garlic.

Reactions: mobus
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky