Cajun Red Beans & Rice ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I couldn't take it anymore. Got a pot started this afternoon. Man, I think I need a longer day to do this. I had to improvise a bit. Powdered garlic, ground cayenne, and ground bay. Meats are 8 oz bacon (store bought) 14 oz andouile and maybe 12 oz leftover ham steaks. It's gonna be meaty for sure. I think I got a bit too much water and now have to wait forever for it to reduce. Smell is great, but sampling the pot liquor is a culinary nirvana. I'll do it again just for the pot liquor.
Do you cook it all the way down to achive the creamy paste consistancy or do you strain it off and serve ?

OK, I recommend you allow some of the beans to just cook away (a wrapped butt is never as good as one allow to go thru the stall), but........

I know folks who will actually squish some of the beans against the side of the pot.

I assume you could do like we do with white beans, when the beans are done add about 2 large Tbps of lard to the pot and let it meld down. It will cause the liquid the slightly thicken and become a little creamy. BUT when ya add the lard it will sizably slow the evaporation process.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
No No, Don't want to cheat the system. I got so much fat from bacon and andouille I don't want more or pay the price for adding more. I mash the white beans to make bean soup, but this ain't bean soup. With your assurance I will just be patient and simmer away. And make a mental note to go easy on water and add as needed. I honestly thought the beans would soak up more.

Last edited:
After reading this thread earlier this week. I decided to make up a batch of red bean soup with andoulie sausage and ham today.

Turned out really well. Much better than my first attempt with a different recipe I had used.

Left out enough for another 2 meal's and froze the rest.

Reactions: foamheart
Cajun, Creole and BBQ are my favorite eats. Not sure why it's not more popular than it is up here in the northwest. Restaurants open up, but don't seem to be able to stay in business very long?

So I'm learning to make my own. Recipes from this forum and the cookbooks I got have really helped me out. If it wasn't for that I would be quiet clueless.

Nothing better than showing up at a pot luck with some good BBQ or Cajun food and getting compliments about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky