buying firewood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

banderson7474

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 24, 2016
Alabama (near Auburn)
I've been wondering why I haven't bought normal firewood and used that for smoking? So if I found a place that sold a truck load of oak, that would be a lot cheaper than the smoke wood I buy from the bag.

https://auburn.craigslist.org/grd/d/auburn-firewood/6802395182.html

Does anyone do this or is there a reason I shouldn't? I'm thinking I should use this even if it was just for purely heat and use the more costly hickory and mesquite type bags of smoke wood in the beginning.

i've used oak, maple, ash, apple, hickory, what ever I have laying around my yard,I think it's all good, the only thing you need to watch with truck loads is that they don't slip some pine in, that probably wouldn't taste to good

Reactions: banderson7474
Can't rightly say...
The ad sez $150 a Truck Load.
I don't like that kind of ad.
Oak is a heavy wood. Ask if a truck load is a rik, half a cord, or just how much is that "Truck Load"?
If its a rik, that's $450 a cord. NOT a deal.
If they tell you Half a Cord, That's $300 a cord.

You need to know about buying wood so you don't get screwed.
http://www.lifirewood.com/firewood-facts.php

Yup as said just make sure what your getting if buying by the cord make sure that is what your getting. A 1/2 ton pickup will not hold a cord of wood. The old games is buyer beware. As far as the wood yup if its good oak it will be fine just make sure it is dry.

Warren

Thanks guys, I was just using that ad as an example, there are two places near me that sell firewood, I just need to find out what type of wood it is. I think I can get it a lot cheaper than that ad. I truly need to learn what pine looks like b/c I've made that mistake before.

Didn't look at the ad the first time here it is illegal to sell wood other than by special measurements such as a cord
1/2 cord or even 1/8 cord sold for camping. Like said before just be sure. Pine has a smell that if you know what it is you can easily tell pine.

Warren

Where you are located in Alabama you should have no trouble finding a good supplier of wood by the truckload suitable for smoking. White oak, red oak, hickory, etc should be readily available. Figure out how many bags of firewood you would have to buy to equal that truck load and you will quickly see you are currently paying an exorbitant price. The trick is finding a good supplier who can furnish you with what you want.

Weedeater

Where you are located in Alabama you should have no trouble finding a good supplier of wood by the truckload suitable for smoking. White oak, red oak, hickory, etc should be readily available. Figure out how many bags of firewood you would have to buy to equal that truck load and you will quickly see you are currently paying an exorbitant price. The trick is finding a good supplier who can furnish you with what you want.

Weedeater
Yea, I actually get a good price on bagged smoke wood too but I find it silly that I'm throwing on misquite or hickory smoke wood on especially when the meat is wrapped when I could be throwing on oak firewood for fuel/heat.

banderson - I am up Hwy 280 from you in Chelsea. I buy wood from Alabama Forest Products in Helena. They supply restaurants in AL with splits of oak and hickory. You can buy it green or seasoned and in different lengths. I purchase the seasoned, cut offal which are about 10 to 12" long for 8 cents a pound, longer splits are .12 per pound. They are right down the road from my house so i just drive down and load up. There might be a company like them around you or they might deliver to a BBQ place near you. They are nice people and easy to deal with.

banderson - I am up Hwy 280 from you in Chelsea. I buy wood from Alabama Forest Products in Helena. They supply restaurants in AL with splits of oak and hickory. You can buy it green or seasoned and in different lengths. I purchase the seasoned, cut offal which are about 10 to 12" long for 8 cents a pound, longer splits are .12 per pound. They are right down the road from my house so i just drive down and load up. There might be a company like them around you or they might deliver to a BBQ place near you. They are nice people and easy to deal with.

Hey thanks for the note. I did a quick search and don't see anything closer but Chelsea is close enough for me to make a run and get a truck load, heck that will last me a long time. Plus I can hit twin peaks while I'm in the area for a cold one!!

They are right off exit 242 on I 65. M-F only. Going north exit on 242, turn right, go to the T, turn right, about 1/2 mile down on your left. They have a web site. Glad that I could be a help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky