Butt Fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tripleq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
S Florida (Jupiter)
OK Im stumped. I dont know whats going on here, but I bought a pork shoulder from a local market and popped it on the smoker like I have a hundred times before. Rubbed it and put it on the smoke at 7:30 AM at 235F. I didn't wrap it but just went for the bark. It was maybe 5 lbs and had a LONG stall. at 11 PM I pulled it with an IT of 190. When probing it, it was no where near tender and was starting to dry out.
Any idea what is happening?
butt  fail.jpg

at 14+ hours, i wish I could say I was running out of wood but the ramp from 185 to 190 was 1.5 hours. Started drinking at 7pm, by 11, I was done.

I had one I did last summer that gave me the same problem. I was doing six butts total. 5 of them were done after 10 hours, temping around 200 and probe tender. But one of the six, was still around 185-187, and nowhere near feeling tender when I probed it. I let that one go another 2 1/2 hours and it still wasn't probing tender even though the temp was up to 210. I pulled it and it was tough and dry. I literally had to rip the muscle apart to get it shredded. It was terrible by itself, but I mixed it in with the rest that I had pulled and shredded to sort of "hide" it. I just believe that you get a bad roast once in a while. Depending on what the hog was fed, age, activity level, etc... makes a huge impact on quality.

Mine average 15hrs @ 275F on MES but I inject. Got cocky one time and ran 2, guys here thought add 25% more time but ended up 25.5hrs. It's done when it's done.

If you are into bark like we are, next time try cutting it in half. I have not done it yet but plan to but other guys say half the cook time and 2x more bark. Win win in my book.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Sometimes its just the meat, it happens Like Creek Bottom said he did 6 butts and one was a problem.
I've had that happen before.

Gary

Reactions: creek bottom
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky