Butt bacon prague 1 or 2?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlpicard

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 8, 2017
I am seeing both. Intent is to cure two weeks smoke till145. Chill rapidly partial freeze and slice.

I think the recipe i have uses 2 because of the 14 day cure time? Is that considered too long for #1?

Here's the site I found recipe for buckboard bacon

Well marianski says #2 is no longer permitted in any curing method for bacon because of the nitrates. I also read about tender quick which I have never used but it seems to have nitrate also.

Here's the site I found recipe for buckboard bacon
I like Poli’s recipes usually. This recipe should not use cure #2.

Reactions: indaswamp
Well marianski says #2 is no longer permitted in any curing method for bacon because of the nitrates. I also read about tender quick which I have never used but it seems to have nitrate also.
This is correct. USDA has banned the use of nitrate in conventional bacon, sort of. Technically you can’t use nitrate but all the “uncured” bacon on store shelves is in fact cured with celery powder which is high in nitrates. They just are not classified as a curing agent by the USDA, so the product is labeled “uncured” even though the bacon is perfectly cured “pink” in color.

If you were to make a dry cured product like pancetta (from pork belly) or copicola (from pork shoulder) you would need to use cure #2 with nitrates to maintain bacterial protection in the process as it takes months to complete.

Here's the ingredients I'ma just substitute #1
2 lb. Pork shoulder butt 910.0 g
1/3 cup Un-sulfured molasses 75.0 ml
1/4 cup Kosher salt 48.0 g
3/4 cup Brown sugar, dark, packed 45.0 g 2 Tbs. Liquid smoke
30.0 ml 1 Tbs. Garlic powder 9.0 g
1 Tbs. Onion powder 8.0 g
1 tsp. Cure #2

Last edited:
1/3 cup Un-sulfured molasses 75.0 ml 1/4 cup Kosher salt 48.0 g
1 tsp. Cure #2
No salt? Or did you just not type it? You need the salt to make bacon.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
1 tsp. Cure #2
You forgot the salt.
That said, after reviewing the recipe, I would advise you not to follow this recipe. Many problems with it, and you likely will not enjoy the final product. Here is why:

1) The salt called for is 48.0g this is about 5% salt to 2 pounds meat. Should not be more than 1.5-3%.
2) sugar listed is 45g or about 5% this is way over the top especially after you add molasses.
3) recipe calls for 6g of cure. To 2 pound meat that is about .65% cure. (This can be hazardous to your health) The cure should not exceed .25% for short cure meats.

Id start with the right amounts of ingredients and scratch that recipe.

I like Poli’s recipes usually. This recipe should not use cure #2.
Or 48 grams of salt for a 2# roast.

1 tsp. Cure #2
I can't comment on the molasses, but I'd re-think the salt amount pus the amount of Cure #1 is too high.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Salt is in there. Yeah I'm going to nix that recipe.

I plugged 910 gm of meat into cure calculator it says 2.27 gm. Wow that recipe is off. So with that corrected if I half the salt and half the sugars..?

I plugged 910 gm of meat into cure calculator it says 2.27 gm. Wow that recipe is off. So with that corrected if I half the salt and half the sugars..?

We all have our personal choices for flavor and saltiness. Here are the ranges I'm comfortable with:
  • Salt - The recommended range of salt is between 1% and 3%. I use canning salt, but sea salt or kosher salt works fine. Do not use iodized table salt.
  • Sugar - The recommended range of sugar is between 0% and 3%. You don't actually need sugar in your cure, but it mellows the salt and adds flavor as well as color. A higher percentage of sugar will increase chances of your bacon burning when frying.
  • Cure #1 - The amount of Cure #1 is set by the USDA at 0.25%. Do not increase or decrease this amount, and always measure Cure #1 carefully and accurately.
Adding onion and garlic powder is fine, but I've never measured either, just eyeballed the amount. I generally add some cracked pepper, partially for looks but it brings some flavor to the party. And like I said above, I've never used molasses. I have experimented with adding maple syrup in the bag, as an injection and brushing on while smoking. I've never added liquid smoke either.

Thirdeye has you covered and his post above is in line with my tastes as well.

If you leave the meat at 2 pounds and then cut everything else in the recipe by half, you would have a workable recipe that would be at the top end salt and sugars wise. It would roughly be 2.5% each salt and sugar. Like said above also don’t change the cure 1 from .25% (default amount in most cure calculators) this amount does not change.

My personal preference for bacon is
1.5% sea salt
.5 to .75% sugars (bacon won’t burn in pan)
.25% cure 1
(Combined salt of cure and regular salt is 1.75%. If you plug in 1.75% salt in the calculator it will automatically allow for the salt in the cure 1)
I eyeball with granulated garlic and white pepper.

Reactions: jlpicard
Thirdeye has you covered and his post above is in line with my tastes as well.

If you leave the meat at 2 pounds and then cut everything else in the recipe by half, you would have a workable recipe that would be at the top end salt and sugars wise. It would roughly be 2.5% each salt and sugar. Like said above also don’t change the cure 1 from .25% (default amount in most cure calculators) this amount does not change.

My personal preference for bacon is
1.5% sea salt
.5 to .75% sugars (bacon won’t burn in pan)
.25% cure 1
(Combined salt of cure and regular salt is 1.75%. If you plug in 1.75% salt in the calculator it will automatically allow for the salt in the cure 1)
I eyeball with granulated garlic and white pepper.
Why white? Flavor and/or color?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky