Building a Mini R/F from HF Air Tank

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by jetman, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jetman

jetman Smoke Blower

I've read this thread about building a mini reverse flow smoker out of expired steel fireman's air tanks http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/64702/building-a-reverse-flow-miniature

I need to build one of these but had little luck finding any of the steel air tanks. Shopping at Harbor Freight one day, my eyes spotted a suitable tank, a five gallon portable air tank, item #65594 for about $25.

Picked up some 8" flat bar and 8x8x3/16" square tube from my local steel yard today and started laying out my cut marks on the tank.

Before cutting her up

Cut off handle, bung will be rotated to be the grease drain

One of the two legs cut off, used a cut off wheel in my 4" angle grinder.

Little polishing of the old welds

1/2" water valve (just what I had on hand) for grease drain

Laying out center lines so I can make square cuts. A 3" chunk of Channel iron works great to draw lines on a round drum

Measurements, top of firebox will be about 2-1/2" below center

Little gift to myself last month, found this neat metal cutting band saw off Craigslist for $175. Going to try and get it to cut that massive 8x8 tube!

This is my first reverse flow build, if you guys see something I'm doing wrong or see a problem, please let me know, I hate cutting and having to re-weld stuff back together.

Keep tuned, more to come!!

Dan

2. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good luck on your build. I'll be watching this one for sure!

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Get that thing a burning Dan! Have you looked at the calculators that are here on the forum for sizing the firebox and such??? Might be good to look at before cutting!

4. Looking good!

5. dirtsailor2003

Are you done yet????

6. Nice little build! I'd like to build a smallish RF myself. I'm in  [​IMG]   [​IMG]

7. jetman

jetman Smoke Blower

No, not yet. Did get the 8x8 firebox cut and also took the Plasma to the tank, all are ready for grinding and fitting. Lots of pics ready to upload but I was busy at a local auction today (buying more projects that I know better that I shouldn't) and picking up supplies for the weekend pickling and wood burning pizza party. Shall I post the pics here of what you missed [​IMG]  

8. dirtsailor2003

Oh man pizza!!!! Work is over rated!!!

9. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]

10. Yes please  [​IMG]

11. dirtsailor2003

Got that mini-RF done yet?? Are the ribs a cooking???

12. jetman

jetman Smoke Blower

Not yet, we're going to move the metal shop to the other barn where the floor is gravel and not years of straw and horse by-products. Landlord would be less then happy with me if I burned the stalls down [​IMG]

We also are getting ready for the BIG pickle & pizza party. Will be many pics here so you can see what you missed [​IMG]

Dan

13. dirtsailor2003

14. jetman

jetman Smoke Blower

It makes a ton of sense to move our metal working equipment to one space. He has a nice air compressor and plasma cutter, I have the horizontal metal cutting saw, mig and stick welder. Between us we can fab most anything we want. I have a growing pile of old air tanks and dead compressors that may become R/F smokers to help fund my addiction [​IMG]

15. BIG PICKLE PARTY??????

What kind of website is this turning into?

[​IMG]

16. dirtsailor2003

We'll where's the Big pickle view?

17. jetman

jetman Smoke Blower

Well there fish-head, we had a dandy Cucumber & Green bean pickling party today, between two families we canned about 60# of veggies. We also made a very tasty batch of sweet cherry jam (second one this month, it tastes so good!). After running up to 5 gas burners and most of my propane tanks it was time for dinner. Girlfriend insisted I light the wood fired pizza oven, who am I to turn her down. Knowing I'd be spent after canning I bought a package of Rhodes frozen bread dough, usually make my own from a sourdough starter I keep in the fridge. Enough with these silly words......

Lisa (neighbor) and Vicki (GF) on right, trimming and packing cukes and green beans

Part of the 60# of cucumbers

This is a 2.5 gallon Pickle Crock I keep on the kitchen counter, what few cukes I pick each day go in there for future canning or nibbling!

What we picked just this morning

Some of the 35+ finished quarts of Kosher pickles

Out of order for some reason, more of the girls cutting

e pack then tight, cutting some into halves to better fill the jars

Batch of Sweet Cherry jam, oh so tasty !!!

Dinner time, portable wood burning pizza oven I built a couple years ago, just lit the fire for an hour warmup

Nothing will make a more tasty pizza then wood fired oven

My cheat for the day, Rhodes frozen dough for crusts

Rolled out paper thin

Passed off to Vicki for the toppings

Sometimes the crust edge gets a bit charred

Will never win a beauty contest but a dessert pizza made with Peanut butter & fresh Cherry jam, oh it's sooo good !!

Soo yummy!

More out of order pics, this is a Greek pie, carmelized onions & whole garlic cloves, feta cheese, klamatta olives and marinated artichoke hearts, this was one of our favorite pizzas.

Been a long day and the pizza coma is kicking in. Need to get back to the R/F build but may not be for a couple weeks. Need to prep the boat for a week long, 150 mile camping trip along the Columbia river following week.

Dan

18. dirtsailor2003

Looks great, wish I could have made the trip there instead, but some family business got in the way... Now that your done playing with your pickle get that mini-HF-RF done!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  19. dirtsailor2003

All right where's the finished pictures of this smoker??? I know your on vacation, get r done!!!!!!!!

20. jetman

jetman Smoke Blower

I'll get-r-done, been busy around here. Do you know how much work it takes to harvest all those delicious veggies from the garden, just today we dug about 40# Yukon Gold spuds, 30# Shallots and 50# onions! Readying for a Tuna hunt tomorrow out of Depoe Bay. Shop work is also going on, moving the welding area to a safer place (less stuff to burn) and my buddy brought me a nice steel welding table. Soon, I promise I'll get the lil' smoker back on track!

Now, where did I put those sea sick pills;-)

Dan