Brisket Wood Advice - Q-view in progress!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reactions: whistlepig
Good job! Glad the brisky came out good. You need to slice agaist the grain of the meat for the most tender texture.

Where did ya smoke that cheese?? In the same smoker as the brisk?? If so, how'd ya do that without melting it. It all looks great!

You know, I really haven't figured out the whole slicing thing yet.  I read something on the site about it, but should have printed it before I cut in, because I couldn't find the grain or the locations they talked about.  If someone has a link to a good resource on here (or even a youtube video), I'd appreciate it.

Yes, I did the cheese on the same smoker.  It's a little chilly in these fall evenings up here in Northeast Ohio, so I simply let the remaining wood and charcoal burn itself down while my brisket rested and I sliced it.  By the time we finished dinner, there were only a few coals left in the firebox, and I simply poured some pecan chips on top of them and let them smolder.  Kept it between 75 and 100 for about three hours.  It worked out real well, and I plan to do that with all of my cool season smokes.

In your first pic of post #22, if you were to turn that piece of meat 90 degrees, and then lay the knife back to the left about 45 degrees and slice, the grains of the meat would be only as long as the slice is wide. Slicing a brisket (and other cuts of whole-muscle meats) correctly is very important. I don't have any links quickly available but I'm sure someone will post up some slicing guides shortly. 

Last edited:

Looking at the pic up close, I can see the grain. Makes sense now. Guess this is an excuse to do another one. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Looks great, I usually just find the grain before I rub mine down then cut a small corner off to give me a reference when its done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky