Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did add 2 more temp gauges but i wasn't thinking and didn't put them at grate level ... As of right now I'm getting about a 25/30 degree difference from end to end .

Still waiting on my convection plate but I smoked a pork shoulder here's some pics of the goods !!!
06c5fae7_IMAG0487.jpg
b32ad28f_IMAG0490.jpg

Reactions: brick and sailord0g
Yummy - I did extra thermos as well as the stack extension. I also raised up the bottom grill with some 2" steel cut to 16 1/4" to raise the tuning plate and baffle above the firebox hole. That made a big difference. Looking forward to how the Horizon works. 

Thanks , I like what you did with ur smoker ! I'm still waiting here so as soon as i get the horizon i will post a update .

Ihave my Trailmaster Limited Edition getting delivered tomorrow. I am planning on doing the mod's that I found on this site. I have a couple of questions though.

1. I am planning on adding some thermometers near the grate. I am planning on mounting these through the door. What are some good thermometers for this?  Also, what size or length should I get?

2. I am also planning on getting or making a convection plate. If I buy a convection plate, where is a good place to get one from?  Also, are there any good instructions on how to make one?

3. Has anyone put a seal or gasket around the door?  If so what exactly did you use?

I'm planning on getting some high heat sealant to seal up all the bolts, screws and any other place that may leak. Is there anything else I should be looking at doing to make this a very sound smoker?

Thanks in advance for your help.

For the fire box I would recommend you get some rope gasket for the join between the 2 halves in addition to the sealant. I just used sealant but some of the gaps would work better with some rope gasket in there.

For the cook door I used the Rutland RTV Silicone gasket to seal it. Check to see if you have leaks before doing it though. You may be OK without it.

For tuning plates - I finally went to Home Depot and bought a bunch of 2" x 1/8" steel flats and a cheap ($30) angle grinder with cutting blades.

I measured and found that 16 3/4" lengths fit very nicely in the cook chamber and the curve of the tank held them in place. Then I put the lower grate on these supports (3 per grate) and put my tuning plates on that. The supports raised the tuning plate/baffle above the top of the firebox inlet and worked much better then angling a baffle in and trying to force the heat under the plates.

Good luck and be patient your first few cooks. It takes some breaking in and getting used to but each smoke I've done has gone better than the last.

For Thermo - look at Tru-Tmp's but they are pricy. I went with a decent adjustable on Amazon 2" dial with a 2" sensor and they work great.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Got my TMLE on Monday as an early Father's Day present (newly married this year with two teenage stepkids, and they and my wife couldn't wait to give it to me).  Assembled Monday, cured Tuesday, Q'd up some pork on Wednesday.  I added two thermos on the lid at grill level, which was an absolute must, given the temp zone variance between top of chamber and grill level.  I also filled the charcoal grate in the cooking chamber with lava rock, which helped stabilize the cooking temps and speed up the rebound from the chamber door being opened.

I was wondering if anyone had tried using the lava rock instead of a convection plate.  My thought was that I could lean a steel plate at a 45 degree angle on the charcoal grate resting at the top lip of the firebox opening to force the smoke down under the charcoal grate, and then use the lava rock spread across the grate to both retain/distribute the heat and balance the smoke distribution from right to left (using the gaps between the lava rock kinda like the holes in the convection plate).

Has anyone else tried this?  I think I'm going to try a test burn with that configuration tonight.

I am considering purchasing the Brinkman Trailmaster. I am excited about smoking with this grill, but I have a question for you seasoned veterans. Would it be sacrilege to put coals in the main chamber for say burgers and steaks? How does this grill perform when cooking with this method? Will it ruin future smoking with the ash in the main chamber? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ben, I'm hopefully going to try that with mine this weekend, and I'll let you know.  My guess is that the ash is nothing that a shop vac can't fix.

I have never used mine as a grill I've used it solely as a smoker, but I would imagine that the ash would be dificult to get out once you have a good layer of seasoning on there.

So I tried using charcoal on the firebox side of the cooking chamber.  The answer is that it works...sorta.  Air flow control is difficult, because the damper is meant to feed the firebox, so it doesn't exactly roll through the coals like you would like.  As far as cleaning, after scooping the ash, you're left with no more residue than you would be when running it without a baffle plate.  However, I fired up the firebox and gave it a good old fashioned steam clean, and noticed a "sludge" left behind in the bottom that results from the ash.  Bottom line, I'd rather use my Weber for charcoal grilling, or use the grate in the side firebox for direct flame.

I wanted to stop on and say thanks to all who have posted in this thread.  I picked up a TMLE on Monday and on Tuesday made the expanded metal coal box, the smoke stack extension from 4" dryer vent and a heat deflector from an old Broiling pan bolted to a piece of 1 1/2 x 1/8 steel cut to the width of the coal rack in the cooking chamber.  I also lined the coal racks in the cooking chamber with Charbroil pyramids and sealed the whole thing (except the two doors) with high temp sealant.  I have ordered two Thermos on amazon and will install them left and right on the door at grill level when they get here.  I seasoned it last night and today it is getting a load of salmon.  I used a 1/2 chimney of hot coals on top of a bed of about 6 inches of charcoal.  I am a few hours in and it is running like a champ.  Holding about 225 on the left and 235 on the right while the stock thermo shows 250.  Thanks for sharing all your great ideas and know how!

Happy Birthday USA!

f6b852d5_IMG_0994.jpg
3100273f_IMG_0995.jpg
e646c311_IMG_0996.jpg
fb5776ca_IMG_1003.jpg

I have this smoker and love it. I have made most of the mods listed, except for the charcoal basket. I usually use a chimney of lump to get a bed of coals then use split chunks and logs to cook with. It's a fine smoker for the money.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky