Brining rotisserie chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waytoodeep03

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Is this a good idea to do? I just got the kamado joe rotisserie attachment and wanted to do my first bird.

If I brine it would the texture turn out mushy?
I've only smoked quarters on this grill and those were brined.

Reactions: Wood Chunk Chick
If it's not already enhanced then go for it. If it is then I would inject it with your favorite flavor profile.

Chris

Even if its enhanced, its usually about >3%. Its common place.

You can still brine, been doing for years now. It just doesn't take quite as much or as fast, which for the most part is good I figure. Keeps folks from getting carried away. Remember though its enhanced, not cured. I'll say this, I get Sanderson Farms chickens and brining makes enough difference that folks will ask for it or ask why I didn't do it.

LOL... things sure change, back when I used to take and throw a couple a chickens on a pit in the bed of the truck on the pipeline right of way, best chickens ya ever ate! Now I spend 2 days....LOL But its worth it if ya have the time.

To me the density starts to change after 36 hours, I usually try for a 18 to 24 hour brine, then pat down and set under a fan for 30 to 45 mins. to form a pellicle before cooking. I am a firm believer in forming a pellicle on any skinned meat!

Does anyone know whether Costco brines or injects their rotisserie chicken? It has a very appealing flavor and is extremely juicy, so I expect there is some "secret" which hopefully someone has been able to figure out.

[edit]I just found this ingredient list for the Costco rotisserie chicken:

Whole chickens, water, seasoning (salt, sodium phosphate, modified food starch (potato, tapioca), potato dextrin, carrageenan, sugar, dextrose, spice extractives).​

Does anyone know whether Costco brines or injects their rotisserie chicken? It has a very appealing flavor and is extremely juicy, so I expect there is some "secret" which hopefully someone has been able to figure out.

Whole chickens, water, seasoning (salt, sodium phosphate, modified food starch (potato, tapioca), potato dextrin, carrageenan, sugar, dextrose, spice extractives).​
I agree with you John. They are the best quality of the big store bought twisted chickens. A google search is in order. I bet some employee has spilled the beans on the recipe and method. B

I've only brined breasts so far. And the results were very nice. I've never had bird that was that juicy and tender before. I'd say go for it.

So can these chickens be made at home using a rotisserie grill? I just bought two organic birds from sams club. They are not in any solution. I want to make them like costco, juicy tender and flavorful

Almost all the chickens I get are enhanced, so I skip the brine stage & go right to the injection.
Tony C's has a bunch of injectable marinades that even come with a throwaway needle!
They are all very good!
Al

Absolutely! It may take you a couple of cooks to really dial in your method with your new Kamando Rotisserie. But it will be stupendous either way if you cook to the right temperature. But like others have said, a lot depends on if the birds are already "enhanced". You can brine, or try the injectables. Most folks have their preference. The typical basic brine is 1 cup salt and 1 cup of sugar to 1 gallon of water plus seasonings of your choice. Check out davonak's post on the use of Phosphates. There are other brine kits as well as injectables you can buy such as at ButcherPacker and others. Have fun trying different methods to get what you are looking for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky