Brining chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

behappy

Original poster
New to posting here, but have been "studying" for a while.
Don't really know where I screwed up.....

Smoked some chickens last week and brined them first.
Off this forum, I learned to use 1 cup of kosher salt, tad of crab boil, 1 cup of sugar in a gallon of water.
Soaked the chickens for 4 hours in this, then rinsed and smoked.

They came out very salty?
I know we have been on a reduced salt diet for a couple of years, so we might be a little sensitive to salt.
Is the brine really necessary for poultry ?
What went wrong?
Can the salt content be reduced (for those of us on low salt diets)?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers.

Behappy, morning and welcome to the forum...   Yes you can cut down on the salt... try 1/4 cup Kosher salt/gallon with other seasonings...  The salt, after it penetrates the meat, keeps it moist during cooking.... It is not necessary to brine, but when you get the ratios to your liking, you will not go back to unbrined chicken...  We brine our birds for as long as 2 days in a reduced salt brine.... the salt penetrates farther into the meat and it is really juicy.... 

When you get a moment, stop into " /Roll Call/   " (click that link) and introduce yourself for a proper welcome from our members...  Pictures of your smoked goods are always welcome.... enjoy the long smokey ride....  Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave!
When traveling thru parts of Tn or Ga, we get some of the saltiest meat (bacon,pork etc.) that I have ever tasted.
Actually turns my stomach....

We live in the DEEP south and love our seasonings, but they have to blend. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using my fingers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky