Boston Butt for Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
One of my favorite pieces of meat to do is Boston Butt and I have not had the opportunity yet to do one on my Rec Tec grill, so Saturday was the big day.

It with injected with an injection recipe from Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book:
1 cup peach juice from a large can of fresh peaches
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBS Salt
1 TBS (heavy) of Low Sodium Worcestershire Sauce

Then rubbed with Jeff's Original Dry Rub, and put on the smoker @225 with Lumberjack Competition pellets. The butt was just over 10 lbs, largest one I have done yet, and the first time I have done an injection on a butt.

Here it is after the injection, you can just see some of the injection marinade in the bottom of the pan:
IMG_20200104_063749960.jpg

And this is what it looked like after being rubbed with Jeff's Rub
IMG_20200104_064519419.jpg

After an hour or so of smoke:
IMG_20200104_084603253.jpg

Now several hours in and starting to spray hourly with apple juice:
IMG_20200104_164944970.jpg

Done to an IT of 203 degrees and probes like soft butter, resting. Check out that awesome bark!
IMG_20200104_180351669_MP.jpg

After resting for a half hour or so pulled. Nice smoke ring and very moist and extremely tender, bone fell right out.
Probably my best one yet thanks to the Rec Tec.

IMG_20200104_181020338.jpg

And here it is plated with fresh homemade coleslaw and homemade cornbread with corn and jalapeno.
IMG_20200104_181426840.jpg

We went simple with this and skipped the buns (new year and trying to watch the waistline). Sorry about the translucent plate, we should have used a different plate.

But it was really good!

Thanks for lookin'

John

Looks great, awesome bark too! That injection with the peaches sounds really good. Were you able to taste it in the finished product?

I wanna try that.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Looks great. Deffinatly has a nice bark on it! We eat ours with out a bun a lot of times. I like jalapeno in my corn bread as well. Super nice job!

One of my favorite pieces of meat to do is Boston Butt and I have not had the opportunity yet to do one on my Rec Tec grill, so Saturday was the big day.

It with injected with an injection recipe from Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book:
1 cup peach juice from a large can of fresh peaches
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBS Salt
1 TBS (heavy) of Low Sodium Worcestershire Sauce

Then rubbed with Jeff's Original Dry Rub, and put on the smoker @225 with Lumberjack Competition pellets. The butt was just over 10 lbs, largest one I have done yet, and the first time I have done an injection on a butt.

Here it is after the injection, you can just see some of the injection marinade in the bottom of the pan:
View attachment 427387

And this is what it looked like after being rubbed with Jeff's Rub
View attachment 427388

After an hour or so of smoke:
View attachment 427389

Now several hours in and starting to spray hourly with apple juice:
View attachment 427390

Done to an IT of 203 degrees and probes like soft butter, resting. Check out that awesome bark!
View attachment 427391

After resting for a half hour or so pulled. Nice smoke ring and very moist and extremely tender, bone fell right out.
Probably my best one yet thanks to the Rec Tec.

View attachment 427392

And here it is plated with fresh homemade coleslaw and homemade cornbread with corn and jalapeno.
View attachment 427393

We went simple with this and skipped the buns (new year and trying to watch the waistline). Sorry about the translucent plate, we should have used a different plate.

But it was really good!

Thanks for lookin'

John
Great bark and will try the injection. It sounds real good.

Nice work . One of my favorite cooks . I've been known to mix the slaw and pork together without a bun . Great bark on that .
Thanks Chop for the compliment sir!

Looks great, awesome bark too! That injection with the peaches sounds really good. Were you able to taste it in the finished product?

I wanna try that.
Thanks for the Like xray!

It definitely made the pork moister and a slight peach flavor came through but it was not pronounced.

Pulled pork & slaw are a favorite around here. Points for sure.
Thanks for the like and compliment buzzy!

John

Looks great. Just curious, how sweet was it? Between the heavy Syrup in Canned peaches and sugar, I would think it would be needing a Vinegar Finishing Sauce...JJ

Looks great.
Ha no roll more room for PP.

Warren
Thanks for like Halfsmoked, and yes I agree more pulled pork is a good thing!

Looks great. Deffinatly has a nice bark on it! We eat ours with out a bun a lot of times. I like jalapeno in my corn bread as well. Super nice job!
Thanks sowsage for the like and kind comments!

Wow, looks great. Yep, haven't been able to do one on the Rec Tec yet. Soon...
Thanks for the like winterrider, hope this is motivation to get that butt on the Rec Tec!

John

Clear plate, no plate, heck you could have used a paper grocery bag to serve that baby. Looks really good for here.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky