Bone-in v Boneless

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FreshGround

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
Is there a good rule of thumb to compare the price of a bone-in pork shoulder to the price of a boneless butt? Or a way of estimating how much of a large (10 lb. +) bone-in shoulder roast is the bone?

I'm relatively new at buying these cuts and with the way prices are, I want to make sure I'm getting good value.

Thanks.

No telling how much of the meat is cut away with the bone by a paid cutter. When I watch YouTube videos of folks deboning a shoulder/butt, they leave WAAAY more meat on the bone than I do.

The difference in price between bone-in (lower)and boneless (higher) is wages for the cutter. Nothing wrong with that at all, except they keep the bone I roast to make stock and flavor soups.

Bone is usually about 10% of the weight but also whatever meat they take with it. Around here the boneless run about a dollar per pound more, not worth it to me. Plus a boneless butt should be treated almost like one that is injected from a food safety point of view. That part where the bone was should not be considered sterile like a sold butt or other piece of meat, so the 40F to 140F in 4 hours or less is much more critical.

I like cooking with the bone. I think it adds flavor plus the dog likes chewing it after. Not sure what the bone weighs. I will say when I cook for a large group I buy a case of boneless.

Reactions: FreshGround
For some reason my head went to making sausage instead of pulled pork. Heck, if making pulled pork, bone-in all day for flavor and wiggle indicator.

Your head did good, as I will be buying it to grind for various sausages.

Thanks to all for your responses. I think I have a reasonable handle on this now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky