Blackened, Smoked, And Seared NY Strips (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple weeks ago I found myself in a crisis situation: I was out of NY strips and going through withdrawal. Reached out to Joe at CPB and he immediately processed an order for me. The package arrived Wednesday afternoon and the timing was perfect. Later that day the ice storm hit, ran all the way through Thursday, and shut the entire region down for 3 days. Being iced in Thursday with no place to go I decided to start breaking the roasts down into steaks and smaller roasts.

The first of the 4 roasts in the order. Total weight was just shy of 50 pounds
20220203_132812_Fotogenic.jpg

20220203_132817_Fotogenic.jpg

Cut 11 beautiful steaks 1 1/2" thick
20220203_134418_Fotogenic.jpg

20220203_133708_Fotogenic.jpg

First batch vac sealed, weighed, tagged, and ready to go into the freezer
20220203_141308_Fotogenic.jpg

Yesterday I got my chores done and spent a couple hours playing with the new smoker getting it dialed in. Mostly playing with volume of propane and damper settings to attain the desired temps. While sitting on the patio freezing my butt off, contemplating my navel, and sipping on a few barley pops, I thought a couple of those steaks smoked and seared would make a nice dinner.

Got a couple of them out to thaw.
001_Fotogenic.jpg

Hit with a generous dose of the Carnivore rub I put together a few months ago
002_Fotogenic.jpg

Slice up some Baby Bellas, into a pan with butter, garlic, and black pepper
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Steaks onto the smoker running 240 with hickory
006_Fotogenic.jpg

Ahhhh....this is what we live for. The highly coveted TBS
007_Fotogenic.jpg

While the steaks are getting happy I start the mushrooms
005_Fotogenic.jpg

Cut up a nice salad
010_Fotogenic.jpg

Steaks after about 40 minutes. They are at an IT of 120
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Over the screaming hot sear burner on the grill
009_Fotogenic.jpg

Done. Pulled mine at 126 and Tracy's at 128. I absolutely love the char on these things
011_Fotogenic.jpg

Plated with the 'shrooms, loaded baked potato, and salad
014_Fotogenic.jpg

Nailed it. Perfect Bearcarver Bearcarver edge to edge pink
015_Fotogenic.jpg

Man these were good!! Crispy char, juicy, and tender as silk. Being a steak and taters kinda guy (especially the steak), this is the perfect meal for me. Absolute down-home comfort food that's quick and easy to make. Nothing special about it, just all-around goodness and flavor that's beyond what I can even begin to convey. Blessedly we are well stocked with NY strips now and won't be running out again for a while. Smoker is performing well beyond expectations and I'm loving that thing. Got an order of Dino ribs coming next week that will probably be the first real smoking session on it and will have a few friends over. I'm really looking forward to that one. Been a while since I've had the monster beef ribs and we are due for some. Also, it'll be the first time some of the friends who will be in attendance will get to experience them. Should be a real treat.

Thanks once again for dropping in. Be well, stay safe, and I'll see y'all again soon.

Robert

That's one delicious looking meal Robert! Steak done perfectly and with shrooms and an added baked tater...mmmmmm!
But honestly, that big ole hunk of meat...wow! Pure carnivore!

Ryan

Wow Robert. I’m really needing one of those plates! That all looks fantastic. Perfect steak!

Wow!!
Robert, I'd be on that Meal like Ugly on an Ape!!
I'd be there before Festus, if you know what I mean!!
Like.
BTW: I can't believe you guys Are still losing power for 3 days from cold weather in Texas!! What will happen if it actually gets cold down there?

Bear

Last edited:
Looks fantastic Robert! I love that carnivore black! Looks like that new build is gonna put out some dang good meals! And its built like a tank!!
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the dinos that are on the way!

Great cook Robert! Very inspiring. I need to check out that rub.

Don't get any better than a perfectly done steak smothered in shrooms, you nailed it Robert! Great to see that gorgeous new smoker in action, nice piece of work! RAY

Another fine meal Robert. I getting ready to fire up the fire pit on the patio. Trying to figure out what to cook on that grate that swings over the fire later. I have some left over pizza sauce so guess do hobo pizza and cherry pies. Maybe cook some sausage on grate and use for pizza.

Wow that looks perfect! So neat that you made that smoker by hand. Do you have that rub recipe posted anywhere? I think I need to try that!

You just keep hitting them out of the park! That smoker is a thing of beauty. And it is working nice by the looks.

Dang Robert, another phenomenal meal. Well done… your photos are great as usual! But that last one has me drooling big time!

Your rub for the steaks has me intrigued!

Dang Robert, that roast and those steaks are beautifully marbled.
And that last plated pic just about had me drooling on my keyboard.
Mmmmmm, steak and shrooms, eating like a king!

Thanks so much Chile!! Hopefully you did not electrocute yourself and / or ruin the keyboard. Appreciate the kind words my friend.

Great looking meal I sure would have pulled a chair up for that meal.

And you sir would be more than welcome any time. come on down!! Weather is turning around and we are in for some nice days coming up.

That's one delicious looking meal Robert! Steak done perfectly and with shrooms and an added baked tater...mmmmmm!
But honestly, that big ole hunk of meat...wow! Pure carnivore!

Thanks so much Ryan. It is kind of a primal thing standing there looking at that massive hunk of meat and imagining how it's gonna turn out.

Robert

Wow Robert. I’m really needing one of those plates! That all looks fantastic. Perfect steak!

Well come on down Dave!! We have plenty and the door is open.

Dont know what else to say Robert but holy crap that looks delicous!

'Nuf said Jim, and thank you.

BTW: I can't believe you guys Arte still losing power for 3 days from cold weather in Texas!!

Thank you for the kind words Bear. We did not lose power though...or water. We just had colder than normal temps and an ice storm. When the roads get covered with ice, folks tend to just stay home, especially out here in the Hill Country where we live. No inconveniences at all this time around. Matter of fact, I kinda like it when this happens.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky