Belated birthday smoke...finally!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Birthday was 3 weeks ago. I usually have a big smoke and invite the family. Basically just gives me an excuse to smoke, drink beer, and see the family. Due to work illnesses etc...wasn’t able to do my normal big smoke. Yesterday finally had some time and invited the fam over.

Started Saturday night with an 8 lb butt I got for $.99 lb. injected with apple juice. I usually make my own rub but was out and too lazy to make more so figured I’d give this a shot.
upload_2019-2-11_10-34-47.jpeg

upload_2019-2-11_10-35-4.jpeg

I usually wrap my butts at 165 but figured I had the time so I let this one ride no foil. 225 with apple pellets.
upload_2019-2-11_10-37-12.jpeg

upload_2019-2-11_10-37-32.jpeg

18 hours later
upload_2019-2-11_10-38-14.jpeg

Wrapped and threw in a cooler then got started on my next project...3 racks of STL ribs. Not a bad price.
upload_2019-2-11_10-40-31.jpeg

upload_2019-2-11_10-40-43.jpeg

At this point it started pouring rain and I couldn’t run my smoke vault so had no choice but to do this in the MES40. Not excited about it but only option.

Rubbed down with some more stubs.
upload_2019-2-11_10-43-55.jpeg

Moved the MES to the edge of the garage and tossed these in. Smoking in the rain. Little TBS going on.
upload_2019-2-11_10-45-41.jpeg

Doing 3-2-1. After 3 hours wrapped in butter brown sugar and Jack Daniels glaze from TGI Friday’s.
upload_2019-2-11_10-47-52.jpeg

After 2 hours in foil
upload_2019-2-11_10-50-20.jpeg

Glazing up
upload_2019-2-11_10-50-45.jpeg

Done at 197
upload_2019-2-11_10-52-27.jpeg

Money shots
upload_2019-2-11_10-53-32.jpeg

upload_2019-2-11_10-53-46.jpeg

Full selection of homemade bbq sauce.
upload_2019-2-11_10-55-7.jpeg

Plated shot. PP slider on Hawaiian bun. Ribs. Smoked Mac and cheese. ABT’s. Stuffed mushroom caps. Glazed meatballs. Hush puppies. Not shown were the smoked beans and homemade slaw. And the crappy beer to wash it down of course.
upload_2019-2-11_10-57-45.jpeg

Everyone was happy and full. Thanks for looking!

On a side note I ran out of the regular AMAZEN pellets I normally use. Had a giant bag of lumberjack apple pellets a buddy gave me and used them. Would highly recommend flavor was great!

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-11_10-43-43.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-11_10-43-43.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
Happy belated birthday Vol. The food looks outstanding. Nice Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Great looking Butt & Ribs!!
Love that Plateful!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

And Happy Belated Birthday!!
Great People Born in January!

Bear

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
That's some good looking food. That Stubs rub is some good CHIT! I use it from time to time.

Man that Stubbs turned out great. Funny thing is grocery store had all their Stubbs rubs on clearance for $.49 a bottle so I picked up about 15. Will definitely use it again

Reactions: Hawging It
Great looking Butt & Ribs!!
Love that Plateful!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

And Happy Belated Birthday!!
Great People Born in January!

Bear

Thanks Bear! Since you are the king of leftovers(especially sandwiches)just hit some up myself for lunch today. PP with a little hot Jamaican jerk sauce on the side.
upload_2019-2-11_14-31-32.jpeg

Reactions: Preacher Man
That all looks great! I love everything Stubbs! Happy belated birthday Vol

Ps, if you want to share those sauce recipes...I’m listening;-)

I came here to ask about those sauce recipes, too!

I’ve got to give chef jimmy j credit for the honey Dijon and the KC original sweet. Do a search on here they are amazing.

The SC mustard is similar to chef jimmy j’s but I add butter and beer and let it simmer. Gives it another little kick IMO.

The vinegar is a compilation of jimmy j’s and Myron mixon’s. I like to add a little more cayenne and red pepper flakes.

The habanero sweet heat is one I made up on the fly. Finely diced up fresh habaneros minced garlic ketchup brown sugar salt pepper cayenne pepper a little AC vinegar and Worcestershire. Let it simmer for 30 min and reduce down. You get the heat from the habaneros up front and sweetness from the brown sugar on the back end.

The balsamic vinegar is one I found online. 1 cup BV. 3/4 cup ketchup. 1/3 cup brown sugar. 1 clove minced garlic. 1 TBS Worcestershire. 1 TBS Dijon mustard. 1/2 TS salt. 1/2 TS pepper. Simmer 20 min.

I usually find a base and kind of tweak it to my liking. Had some failures along the way haha but these are my go to sauces. Love trying to come up with new ones. Hope to experiment with a bourbon one in the near future.

I’ve got to give chef jimmy j credit for the honey Dijon and the KC original sweet. Do a search on here they are amazing.

The SC mustard is similar to chef jimmy j’s but I add butter and beer and let it simmer. Gives it another little kick IMO.

The vinegar is a compilation of jimmy j’s and Myron mixon’s. I like to add a little more cayenne and red pepper flakes.

The habanero sweet heat is one I made up on the fly. Finely diced up fresh habaneros minced garlic ketchup brown sugar salt pepper cayenne pepper a little AC vinegar and Worcestershire. Let it simmer for 30 min and reduce down. You get the heat from the habaneros up front and sweetness from the brown sugar on the back end.

The balsamic vinegar is one I found online. 1 cup BV. 3/4 cup ketchup. 1/3 cup brown sugar. 1 clove minced garlic. 1 TBS Worcestershire. 1 TBS Dijon mustard. 1/2 TS salt. 1/2 TS pepper. Simmer 20 min.

I usually find a base and kind of tweak it to my liking. Had some failures along the way haha but these are my go to sauces. Love trying to come up with new ones. Hope to experiment with a bourbon one in the near future.

I feel like this is my goodie bag from your birthday party.

Birthday was 3 weeks ago. I usually have a big smoke and invite the family. Basically just gives me an excuse to smoke, drink beer, and see the family. Due to work illnesses etc...wasn’t able to do my normal big smoke. Yesterday finally had some time and invited the fam over.

Started Saturday night with an 8 lb butt I got for $.99 lb. injected with apple juice. I usually make my own rub but was out and too lazy to make more so figured I’d give this a shot.
View attachment 387764
View attachment 387765

I usually wrap my butts at 165 but figured I had the time so I let this one ride no foil. 225 with apple pellets.
View attachment 387767
View attachment 387768

18 hours later
View attachment 387769

Wrapped and threw in a cooler then got started on my next project...3 racks of STL ribs. Not a bad price.
View attachment 387770
View attachment 387771

At this point it started pouring rain and I couldn’t run my smoke vault so had no choice but to do this in the MES40. Not excited about it but only option.

Rubbed down with some more stubs.
View attachment 387773

Moved the MES to the edge of the garage and tossed these in. Smoking in the rain. Little TBS going on.
View attachment 387774

Doing 3-2-1. After 3 hours wrapped in butter brown sugar and Jack Daniels glaze from TGI Friday’s.
View attachment 387775

After 2 hours in foil
View attachment 387776

Glazing up
View attachment 387777

Done at 197
View attachment 387778

Money shots
View attachment 387779
View attachment 387780

Full selection of homemade bbq sauce.
View attachment 387781

Plated shot. PP slider on Hawaiian bun. Ribs. Smoked Mac and cheese. ABT’s. Stuffed mushroom caps. Glazed meatballs. Hush puppies. Not shown were the smoked beans and homemade slaw. And the crappy beer to wash it down of course.
View attachment 387782

Everyone was happy and full. Thanks for looking!

On a side note I ran out of the regular AMAZEN pellets I normally use. Had a giant bag of lumberjack apple pellets a buddy gave me and used them. Would highly recommend flavor was great!

I love trying new BBQ sauces. Would you be willing to share your recipes? Made one I found online not too long with a base of ketchup and hated it.

Ya know, Stubbs has a bourbon sauce. May be a good base to start with....

I love trying new BBQ sauces. Would you be willing to share your recipes? Made one I found online not too long with a base of ketchup and hated it.

Thanks Derek. Check out above I posted about the BBQ sauces. It’s all really about what you like. Personally I don’t like a real sweet sauce but I have family members that do. I love the vinegar sauce on PP. The honey Dijon is good in just about anything. Start out with a base and add what you like until it gets to a taste you like. SmokinAl has a really good sauce too I’ve made a couple times. It’s got a K.C. Masterpiece base to it. Not overly ketchupy

Ya know, Stubbs has a bourbon sauce. May be a good base to start with....

Didn’t think about that thanks for the idea.

I’ve used Stubbs rub on yard birds too with excellent results. One of these days I’ll become unlazy and mix my own rubs back up

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky