Beef Pub Bangers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snorkelinggirl

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 15, 2012
Ive been so busy recently between work and school that I haven't had time for making sausage or cooking anything interesting.  However, I had a day off today, so decided to make Beef Pub Bangers.  Nothing special, but I decided to do a post on it just to prove that I am still alive and kicking.  

I used the recipe from "Home Sausage Making" with a few modifications.  The ingredients are:

4 lbs beef chuck

1/2 lb pork back fat

2 cups fine fresh bread crumbs

4 oz cold heavy cream

4 egg yolks, blended

25 grams kosher salt

2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more to taste)

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more to taste)

1 tsp dry thyme

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp whole mustard seeds

1/4 tsp ground mace

I run the beef and pork back fat once through the fine plate, then mix with the remaining ingredients until primary bind achieved.  Stuff into 32-35 mm hog casings and twist into 5"-6" lengths.   I made them for dinner tonight by gently simmering in a little water in a covered pan for 15 minutes or so, then browning in the same pan. 

Grinder all loaded up.

One time through the fine plate.

Mixed with the remaining ingredients until sticky and nicely binding.

Stuffed into medium hog casings.

Cooked and served with a little homemade pickle relish and mustard, and some spring greens on the side.

Delicious!!  Great texture and juiciness.  The best batch of pub bangers I've turned out yet.   

Thanks for reading, and hope everybody has a great week!
Clarissa

Last edited:
Those look really good Clarissa! 
32.gif
  Nice job with the bangers 
2thumbs.gif
   I'd sure eat them 
beercheer.gif

Last edited:

Good to see you back with a great dish!

Disco
Thanks Disco!  I miss you guys!  Hope all is going well for you and your wife!

Clarissa

Those look really good Clarissa! 
32.gif
  Nice job with the bangers 
2thumbs.gif
   I'd sure eat them 
beercheer.gif

Thank you, Jeremy!   Beef sausages aren't usually my favorite, but these came out really good.  Not mealy in texture at all.  I'd definitely make them again.

I know they aren't anything to compare with all the great cooking, smoking, and sausage-making you've been up to, but they were fun to make.

Have a great night!

Clarissa

Those look awesome, very tasty !! :drool Gonna get into doing sausage as well I do believe, y'all sure make them look good !!

Justin

I had some major dental work but life has to be good when you're married to the perfect woman.
A good woman (or man) makes everything more bearable!  Sorry to hear about the dental work, but sounds like you are otherwise well.  Hope you are back in fine form soon!
Those look awesome, very tasty !!
drool.gif
Gonna get into doing sausage as well I do believe, y'all sure make them look good !!

Justin
Thank you, Justin!!  You are going to love sausage making…..other than the clean-up (which gets quicker with practice) it is a lot of fun.  And having so many great recipes posted on SMF means you will never get bored with it.  I have like 20 recipes from the forum book-marked to try.

Thanks for checking out my post, and have a great night!
Clarissa

Clarissa........ Good morning.........

4 oz cold heavy cream

4 egg yolks, blended

Great items to fill a sausage with..... Sounds delish...... Egg Mc Muffin in a tube.... I like it....

Dave

Clarissa........ Good morning.........

4 oz cold heavy cream

4 egg yolks, blended

Great items to fill a sausage with..... Sounds delish...... Egg Mc Muffin in a tube.... I like it....

Dave
Yes, I used to have a bit more of a purist attitude about sausages.  But I have now decided that if it improves the texture, taste, and juiciness of a sausage (and is not a weird chemical), then I will willingly use it.  Besides, it isn't a banger if it doesn't have filler in it!  

Thanks for checking out my post, Dave.  Have a great day!
Clarissa

Reactions: tonyabeachlover
Yes Please with homemade kraut, brown mustard and a pint of Two Towns bourbon barrel cider!!!

Looks Great Clarissa!

Last edited:
I would have mine with mashed potato,peas & onion gravy with a big glass of red wine.
Great pub meal & on the menu at my Thursday venue The Bald Rock in East Balmain,once upon a time a pub for waterside workers ,seaman & boat builders .now gentrified,sort of!
Great stuff ,nice to see you are well.
Mick

Clarissa You Magician of Cuisine!!!!!!!!!!!!

I logged into this thread, got pulled away by dogs, and when I came back and sat down, I was then astounded yet AGAIN, as to your magnificent great art!

That you do this from scratch, and then with such juicy looking results, is downright beautiful! The people who come as dinner guests must just talk about your place and for the rest of their lives!!!

Fantastic stuff!

And happy April!!!!!!!

Cheers!!! - Leah

Nice looking sausage. It reminds me of liver sausage, yum

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the compliment.  Liver sausage, especially braunschweiger, is a favorite of mine too.  Haven't made it in a little while, but now you've got me thinking about it.  Yum is right!

Have a great day!
Clarissa
Yes Please with homemade kraut, brown mustard and a pint of Two Towns bourbon barrel cider!!!

Looks Great Clarissa!
Hi Case,

Yes, absolutely!  I have to get on board with making kraut sometime soon, I'm just buying it from the store right now which is kinda embarrassing.  And served with cider….perfection!

Thank you for the points, and have a great day!

Clarissa
I would have mine with mashed potato,peas & onion gravy with a big glass of red wine.
Great pub meal & on the menu at my Thursday venue The Bald Rock in East Balmain,once upon a time a pub for waterside workers ,seaman & boat builders .now gentrified,sort of!
Great stuff ,nice to see you are well.
Mick
Hi Mick

Thank you for stopping by!  Definitely a classic pub meal.  I would have served it with mashed potatoes too, but we had already had mashed potatoes with leftover beef stew for lunch. Watching those carbs, you know.  
biggrin.gif

Hope you are doing well, too!  Take care, and have a great day!

Clarissa  

Clarissa You Magician of Cuisine!!!!!!!!!!!!

I logged into this thread, got pulled away by dogs, and when I came back and sat down, I was then astounded yet AGAIN, as to your magnificent great art!

That you do this from scratch, and then with such juicy looking results, is downright beautiful! The people who come as dinner guests must just talk about your place and for the rest of their lives!!!

Fantastic stuff!

And happy April!!!!!!!

Cheers!!! - Leah
Hi Leah,

Happy April to you too!  Thanks for reading my post!  I don't have your plating skills, but I do love the look of a nice bright mix of colors on a plate.  I've been having to stock up on some different sausages for the Easter weekend, as I have family visiting who have all demanded that I serve homemade sausages.  I'm saving my last jar of last year's homemade pickle relish for them too.  

Hope that you are doing well…..judging from your gorgeous posts, everything is as it should be in your world.

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Clarissa

Hi Clarissa

I don't wish to disappoint you but these do not look anything like Beef Pub Bangers. I should know... I have eaten a few. For starters Pub sausages do not look anywhere as tasty as yours and yours would not need a chain saw or sharks teeth to get through the casings. I would choose yours over real UK Beef Pub Bangers any day 
icon14.gif

Hey Clarissa......you sound as busy as I was/am with the move and now finding a spot for everything. I've never had the 'real deal' but great looking bangers and Wades praise above should warm your heart. I'm really feeling the need to make a batch of sausage before most else. I've been doing mostly grilling for ease but it's time for me to step up & out of the comfort zone. Catch ya around the forum.....enjoy......Willie

Those look really good, thanks for the q-view.....

Craig
Hi Craig, 

Thank you very much!  I appreciate the compliment and you stopping by to read my post!

Clarissa
Hey Clarissa......you sound as busy as I was/am with the move and now finding a spot for everything. I've never had the 'real deal' but great looking bangers and Wades praise above should warm your heart. I'm really feeling the need to make a batch of sausage before most else. I've been doing mostly grilling for ease but it's time for me to step up & out of the comfort zone. Catch ya around the forum.....enjoy......Willie
Hi Willie!

Great to have our paths cross on the forum again!  I noticed that you were checking in less frequently, and wondered how you were doing.  Are you still living in Albany, or did you move a little further afield?   I'm looking forward to seeing more sausage posts from you….I've still got your krautwurst sausage post book-marked to try whenever I learn how to make sauerkraut!

Hope things settle down for you soon….moving is a true pain in the behind!  Take care and thanks for stopping by!!

Clarissa

Hi Clarissa

I don't wish to disappoint you but these do not look anything like Beef Pub Bangers. I should know... I have eaten a few. For starters Pub sausages do not look anywhere as tasty as yours and yours would not need a chain saw or sharks teeth to get through the casings. I would choose yours over real UK Beef Pub Bangers any day 
icon14.gif

Hi Wade!

I'm really pleased you checked out my post, and I greatly appreciate the compliment!

So, it sounds like you are saying that the dry and mealy pub bangers I've had in various English-wannabee pubs, are actually….authentic?  LOL!  I guess I won't strive to replicate a true pub banger then!

Thank you for the education on a true UK culinary tradition!  
biggrin.gif

Have a great day!
Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky