Beef Cheek Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billdawg

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Coastal Georgia
I swung through Sams on Saturday morning to see what was available in the meat department. They had beef cheeks, so I grabbed a package and headed back home to fire up the smoker. I trimmed away as much of the fat and silver skin as I could (which is basically half of the package). Out of a 7 lb package I ended up with about 3.5 lbs of meat.
IMG_0453.JPG

I did a simple Kosher salt and black pepper seasoning (not pictured) and into the drum at 250* with cherry chunks. Somehow, I didn't get any pictures with the meat on the smoker, but it took about 3.5 hours to get the internal temp to 165. I pulled them and put them into a pan with some beef base.
IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Covered the pan with foil, and then back into the smoker for another 3 hours. I didn't put a probe back in to monitor the temp. I was pretty sure they would be fine when we were ready to eat. I took them out of the pan to pull, and they were basically like meat butter. They just fell apart.
IMG_0461.JPG

These made some fantastic tacos with some homemade salsa, onion and cilantro. This is too good and too easy not to be in steady rotation.
IMG_0462.JPG

Looks great to me! I've never cooked or ate beef cheeks (as far as I know) but have only heard good things, will give it a shot when I find some.

Those look great. Cheeks have the beefest flavor on the steer, or a tie with oxtail.

I trim mine too, but it's about 50:50.... some like to clean when they shred. Try adding onion slices for your wrapped step, then incorporate everything into your barbacoa.

Reactions: S-met and TNJAKE
Looks great to me! I've never cooked or ate beef cheeks (as far as I know) but have only heard good things, will give it a shot when I find some.
Thanks Rat. You should definitely give it a shot!

Thise look amaizing! That beef looks super tender and juicy! Nice job!
Thanks Sowsage. They basically just melted.

Those look great. Cheeks have the beefest flavor on the steer, or a tie with oxtail.

I trim mine too, but it's about 50:50.... some like to clean when they shred. Try adding onion slices for your wrapped step, then incorporate everything into your barbacoa.
I agree on the beef flavor. It is super rich and beefy. Thats the main reason I stuck with just salt and pepper. I will have to try adding the onions next time. This is only the second time I have done them.

Man that shredded meat shot is money!! I really want to try cheeks. Amazed you found them at Sams.

Reactions: S-met
Very nice. Beef cheeks have an amazing flavor and go so well in Tacos.

Our Butcher has them on special and the wife keeps telling me to get some.

Nice job. You nailed it
Thanks Jake!

BD, You are a lucky man to have acccess to meats like cheeks.Your smoke is spot on! like!
Thanks CM!

Awesome looking tacos! nice job.
Thank you sir.

Man that shredded meat shot is money!! I really want to try cheeks. Amazed you found them at Sams.
The Sams here doesn't always have them, but they are the only place I have seen them.

Dude those tacos are money! Hoping I can get my hands on some cheek meat one of these days. Very nicely done!
Thanks Vol. I didn't realize they were so hard to find. I had never really looked for them til about 6 months ago

Very nice. Beef cheeks have an amazing flavor and go so well in Tacos.

Our Butcher has them on special and the wife keeps telling me to get some.
Get some!!

I wanted to add some beef cheeks to chorizo. Looks great. May try the tacos

Looks dang tasty!

I would have a taco or two or three, well better make it 4!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky