Basturma and eggs (my version)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
basturma, or pastirma is a seasoned, dry cured beef that I learned about as a small child. My mother is from Damascus, Syria; and hers is from Turkey. They came to America when my mother was 2, but as a child, middle eastern dishes were commonplace at my grandparents. One of my absolute favorite dishes is called basturma with eggs. Quite simply, it is fried egg cooked over a bed of basturma. While my mom does still get it from time to time, it’s not very often that we have this wonderful dish.

So, I’ve been thinking with all this Canadian bacon as well as slab bacon I have around, why not do my own version. Man, did it come out terrific. I took a few pics along the way, figuring if it turned out well I would share, so here it is:

AB9ABFE9-4D6D-4E24-B7BB-0EDD7EE4EF6B.jpeg
I started out by par cooking all of my CB and regular bacon, set to the side, degreased the skillet and then added it back to the pan, trying my best to cover the bottom without too much “layering”.

92C2CD3D-6C15-44C5-8FE3-D5164FA16FA0.jpeg
Then, over medium high heat, I cracked six eggs fairly evenly across the bottom of the pan, careful not to break the yolks. I’m still in a cast so I give myself a pass on this batch...

Once all the eggs are added, lid the skillet (I use a lid w a hole to allow steam to escape).

Now I made a concoction of smoked cheddar, cream cheese and mozzarella, added that to the almost cooked eggs and covered again.

137B8C4B-C237-4E5B-9DB2-15C9AD6BA451.jpeg
Then I just chopped some green onion, added that, then let the steam finish cooking the eggs with no heat on the burner. Once the whites were all cooked it was ready to serve.
D0329C13-090D-463C-8B0A-2F37C41734EB.jpeg 9CAB568A-19EF-4B67-BE97-2106DDB14E0E.jpeg
This dish is a winner! Easy, quick, one skillet dish that eats like a dinner! Hope you try it out...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky