Basturma

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Had two EOR pieces, one I made Bresaola and the other I decided on Basturma after seeing it on 2 guys and a cooler. Didn't take any pictures of the beginnng phase of either, but yesterday was time to hit the Basturma with the spoice paste.

Reached 25% loss yesterday so its time to take it out of the collagen sheet. I need some bigger netting as what I had on hand was slightly tighter than I wanted and undid the flattening during the initial vac seal cure. I set a cutting board and about 11-12 lbs of weight on it for two weeks. Maybe next time I'll just lightly truss it instead of netting.

20230731_183100.jpg

Smells incredible. Had to clean some mold off both sides with a little vinegar. Feels nice, and not hard on the outside so hopefully there's minimal dry edge. We shall see.

20230731_183630.jpg
20230731_183637.jpg

I figured it would be easier to apply the paste not laying in a dish, and this turned out well. Just used a silicon spatula thingy hanging off of the cabinet knob. The surface texture from the netting made for some interesting moments in a few spots, but once I got it all smoothed out and ran a wet gloved hand over it, all was good in Basturma land. Very even very thin coating all around.

20230731_185747.jpg

And now we wait. Shouldn't be long as this is supposed to be the shortest part of the process.

20230731_185934.jpg

I'l post it up when this thing comes out. Thanks for looking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky