Barn tear down...Shed build pics.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Inda, can I ask the details, and where you got, the steel banding straps? Stuff like that just seems to have soared in price.
But really looking good. Some very impressive use of tools and brainpower. I'm really enjoying the photo journey you're taking us on here.
Here ya go Bill....
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TIEDOWN-1-1-4-in-x-35-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Strap-59150L/100318594

Tie-Down Engineering mobile home banding straps. As long as you can duplicate the bolt pattern on a hurricane clip, all good.

I helped a friend build a duck camp in the marsh 20+ years ago. We used the same banding X pattern and that camp has withstood 3 hurricanes and 1 direct hit from Andrew. Still standing today.....

Got the wall tin tacked up on one side today. Took a while figuring out the layout for the perlings. Still need to screw it down on every perling, but it is up. I sorted through the tin panels and I have 38 sheets with the same hole pattern/ perling spacing so those are the ones I will be using for the walls on the work shop. I'll chose the best ones out of that stack. I have an idea now on how the tin will lay out so at least I got that figured out. Rain moving in next 3 days so I'll be doing stuff under the cover of the shed roof. I'll be cutting 3 1/2" long x 26" wide tin strips to cover the holes and making the flashing pieces I need. I'm going to screw a 12' 2x6 to the wall under the roof for a make shift flashing bender. Same way I bent the flashing for my smokehouse. At least I'll be able to make progress next few days.....

Note to self......
When you can't find your carpenters pencil, check by your right ear, stuck up under your ball cap.
Yep! That's where mine is currently! Finishing off basement... currently hanging door to furnace room.

Ryan

Reactions: indaswamp
Also took a while to prep the old tin to hang. First cut to size keeping the hole pattern in mind. Then pressure wash both sides, let it dry in the sun, then hit the rust spots with rust reformer. Then cut the strips from the drops...

...used the same banding X pattern and that camp has withstood 3 hurricanes and 1 direct hit from Andrew. Still standing today.....
strength of steel, at least in tension. The X pattern puts one or the other in tension. Without costing an arm or leg. Your HD link description said it's "at least .035" thick" so I'm assuming it's 20-gauge.
Thanks for the documentation, including answering questions!

I got an extra day of work in yesterday. They were calling for 70% chance of rain. but the front slowed down. I was able to get all the screws and metal strips in place on the one wall. Got the ridge cap screwed in temporary (waiting on more screws) to keep the shop dry so I could do tin prep when it rains. Got one little shower about 15min. then it cleared out. But just north of me they got 4" in about 3 hours.

Here is the one wall with the stripping and screws in place. Will look much better after painting. The black is the rust reformer....

IMG_20230406_123407.jpg

Reactions: TKOBBQ1 and bill1
Just an update and some pictures...

Got all of the east and south walls up (prevailing winds and rain here are from the SE), and 2/3 of the north wall. It is time to install the doors before I can hang any more wall tin.

They were calling for 60% rain today with the low pressure system in the gulf moving north, but it has moved more east...very little rain today. I spent the afternoon making a temporary jig/flashing bender clamp along the 16' south wall of the shop. Bending all the flashing I need for the shop will save me about $400. Just the gable flashing is $55 for 10ft.....crazy! I made one tonight in less than 15 minutes testing out the flashing clamp. Cost me about $8 bucks worth of flashing....
The jig/bender clamp..
IMG_20230412_151605.jpg

IMG_20230412_151613.jpg

I screwed the leftover aluminum angle I had from my drying chamber build for a clean edge to bend on...
IMG_20230412_151629.jpg

Cut a block for a stop to hold the clamp open while sliding flashing in and out...
IMG_20230412_153215.jpg

1/4" gap when the block is in place..
IMG_20230412_153220.jpg

First sheet in for a test run...
IMG_20230412_161829.jpg

Looks good to me!!
IMG_20230412_162045.jpg

IMG_20230412_162050.jpg

I have decided that I will build out covers over the doors. Probably 16" long. That is next on the list. Have to build that and set the doors first before I hang any more wall tin.

Last edited:
The top 2x4 on the clamp is at an angle so that only the edge touches the angle aluminum so all the force is applied there. The clamp works surprisingly well. I will be able to make all the pieces I need fairly easily. And I can make a 12' piece, instead of only 10'. Less splices......

Update:
98% of the wall tin is up. I have one piece that is left, which will be installed once I tear down the small, narrow temporary scaffold I put together with a step to make access to the roof easier. Once the gable trim is in place, I can install the foam closures and butyl tape on the ridge cap and screw it down for good. Then I can tear down the scaffold and install the last piece.

Here is the West wall with the door overhang and tin up...
(I do have two small strip that go on either side of the double door to put up as well)
IMG_20230420_124212.jpg

Update:
Finished the 36" entry door overhang, installed the door (that was a job getting it plumb, level, and square!! And had to custom case it in.), then finished installing the wall tin on the north wall.
IMG_20230426_180902.jpg

Next is to install the double door and the two wall tin pieces on each side. Once that is complete, the shell of the shop will be done. Will only have strips and flashing trim left to install.

If you have a good eye for it, you'll notice that the tin on the left side of the door does not line up with the corrugation on the top piece. My fault....I should have waited to install that piece until I made the run along the top. Will be fixing that tomorrow and working on the double door install.

Reactions: TKOBBQ1
After doing a lot of research, and talking to my local hardware store owner (close friend), this is the primer I have decided to use on the galvanized wall tin:
mp&fmt=jpeg&qlt=92%2C0&op_sharpen=0&op_usm=0.0%2C0.jpg

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/extreme-bond-primer

I bought the last two cans the local store had in stock....and they were running a 30% off sale month of April! Sweet!

It is a Urethane Modified Acrylic bonding primer. Will even stick to glass, so after cleaning with dilute ammonia, this stuff ought to stick like white on rice! Going with a very light tan top coat....

After doing a lot of research, and talking to my local hardware store owner (close friend), this is the primer I have decided to use on the galvanized wall tin:
View attachment 663995
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/extreme-bond-primer

I bought the last two cans the local store had in stock....and they were running a 30% off sale month of April! Sweet!

It is a Urethane Modified Acrylic bonding primer. Will even stick to glass, so after cleaning with dilute ammonia, this stuff ought to stick like white on rice! Going with a very light tan top coat....
We have used that primer many times it’s legit!!!

PS if you get a contractors account at the SW store they give you huge discounts!

Reactions: indaswamp
Coming along nice. Can’t wait for the finish pics
Thanks SmokingUPnorth!

I'm still here, Keith. Looking good. Your left thumb looks like it got caught in the crossfire...
Thanks GonnaSmoke. Yeah, that happened when I was setting the plywood floor panels. It feels a lot better now.

Thanks GonnaSmoke. Yeah, that happened when I was setting the plywood floor panels. It feels a lot better now.
and here I thought you were going old school goth on us.

Shed looks great. Keep us updated
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky