Baking Racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Would it be worth it to get some cheapish baking sheets with baking racks. Have seen some people use that for certain things and I was debating it for stuff like bacon and even my pork belly burnt ends because everytime I've done them they have dried out a bit on the bottom before they get done on top. Any recommendations would be good if anyone had any. Going to be ordering me a smoke tube for some cold smoking and some extra smoke on things in my pellet smoker so thinking I might add some racks or something too.

I use my wife's baking cooling racks often for cold smoking delicate stuff like fish and cheese. Personally I'd pass on cookie sheets and just use foil pans to avoid cleanup.

Would it be worth it to get some cheapish baking sheets with baking racks. Have seen some people use that for certain things and I was debating it for stuff like bacon and even my pork belly burnt ends because everytime I've done them they have dried out a bit on the bottom before they get done on top. Any recommendations would be good if anyone had any. Going to be ordering me a smoke tube for some cold smoking and some extra smoke on things in my pellet smoker so thinking I might add some racks or something too.
I just use disposable foil pans. Smoke and creosote can be a chore to clean off pans and the dishwasher may not be able to get it all... and it can stain up your dishwasher and dishes in side as well.

So throw away foil pans work best for me!

Now I have bought and use "baskets" that were wire grid construction and such but have kind of moved away from them because they are a major pain to clean with all the food and bits getting stuck in the little tiny grid squares.

I DO use the masterbuilt sized grid mats for my MES 40. They are silicon no stick and I use them for jerky, fish, veggies, and other stuff that would fall through my smoker rack bars. These clean well in the sink with soap and water to get the chunks and gunk out because they are flexible and then they wash up like a dream in the dish washer.

I'm with philpom philpom and tallbm tallbm ....I bought some baking/cooling racks at wally world and then use foil pans under them. Makes cleaning the cooker a lot easier and with the protein being elevated still get good smoke coverage. I buy the foil pans in bulk from Dollar tree.

Jim

One option is to line pans with aluminum foil rather than using aluminum pans. Making aluminum is nasty business and using foil is the lesser of two evils and foil creates less trash. Using pans and cleaning them up is the best way, but I also choose convenience over what I probably should do! :-( - Kim

Reactions: JLeonard
Another trick to do is any pans that you use in the smoker or over a fire... rub Dawn dish soap on the outside of them and let dry ( not anyplace on the inside where food might touch) ... they will clean up very easily!

Ryan

Reactions: KimberlyO
I use grill toppers from Walmart, $5 for 3. They actually clean up easily, so I get more than one use. I can trim them with scissors if needed.
wCIOfN6.jpg

PoZSGi9.jpg

This style is stainless and more heavy duty. They are sold as a cooling rack
PrHvcUp.jpg

Edll4e6.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky