Bacon Wrapped Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stantonss

Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Tulsa, OK
New guy here... Long time lurker, but never posted til today.

After doing some Google searches I didn't see much come up. Has anyone ever tried to a bacon weave around a pork butt and smoke it? If so how did it turn out?

Are there pros and cons to this?

I will be smoking a 8lb butt this weekend on my OKJ Longhorn.

Thanks!

SS

There is enough fat in a butt that you do not need the bacon weave. The bacon will not get crisp and it will inhibit the bark on your butt. The bacon weave is good for loins and other low fat pieces of meat to retain moisture. Just put a good rub on.

Hello Stanton and welcome!

I have to agree with Woodcutter on the amount of fat in a pork butt-I can't see that it would need it and I would also think if you put the bacon on at the beginning, you might end up with burnt bacon due to the amount of smoking time (usually 1.5 - 2 hrs per lb of meat) and no bark on the butt. I'd skip it if it were me. Just my $.02.

Would you mind updating your profile to include your location please? It helps folks to know where you are located when answering questions etc. Thanks!

I have been known to place bacon on top of the butt to give me something to munch on early in the cook, but as SmokinHusker points out, a bacon wrap would probably burn long before the butt was ready.

yeahthat.gif

Well, I got up at 3am Sunday morning to start my smoker and get it rolling. I had a buddy make me a charcoal box to help contain and control my temps. I have to say this was by the far the best MOD I could've ever done. It really limits the amount of time you mess with the fire and gives you more opportuiny to dial in your smoker and fine tune it.... The Maverick Dual probe thermoter is a life saver too. These couple things gave a me a couple extra hours of sleep on the couch.

My pork butt turned out amazing. got it up 200* by about 4pm Sunday my 8lb butt was done and was amazing. No need for sauce. Plenty of leftovers for the week.

Sorry, no pics this time! But it turned out Super moist and delicious. 

The weave is not hard but you have to be patient with yourself. The fatty section of the forum has some posts on the weave. I read Jeff's tutorial in one of his newsletters. I think it was dated January 2009 or something. It has good pictures to follow.  Here's a link to oneof my posts using his weave technique on a stuffed pork loin. It worked great to keep the meat moist.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...k-loin-fattie-style-babybacks-and-chuck-roast

It's pork and it's smoked. nothing bad about that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky