Featured Bacon cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just use Splenda instead of sugar.

Al

Reactions: zwiller
There is sugar in TQ but I forget the formula/how much. SmokinAl SmokinAl nailed it. Digging dog and splenda. If you do not want to use splenda simply do not it or any sugar. I've cured plenty of things with no sugar and works fine.

In some curing circles sugar is not included in the base formulations, either a wet curing brine or a dry cure simply because it is not needed to cure meat. Salt and cure are the required ingredients. Sugar is used to knock the harshness off of the salt, and to add surface color and when used in large amounts (or something like maple sugar, or maple syrup is used) will give the cooked product a sweet back-flavor.

A non-sugar dry cure recipe for bacon would be:
1.5% salt*
0.25% Cure #1
The percentages are based on the weight of the pork belly. For example, you use 15 grams of salt for each kilogram of meat, and 2.5 grams of Cure #1 for each kilogram of meat. The minimum curing time will run about a week, but for many 14 days is a magic number.
* the salt percentage is a variable, a range of 1% to 3% could be used. Do not change the percentage of Cure #1.

Reactions: SmokinEdge and olaf
In some curing circles sugar is not included in the base formulations, either a wet curing brine or a dry cure simply because it is not needed to cure meat. Salt and cure are the required ingredients. Sugar is used to knock the harshness off of the salt, and to add surface color and when used in large amounts (or something like maple sugar, or maple syrup is used) will give the cooked product a sweet back-flavor.

A non-sugar dry cure recipe for bacon would be:
1.5% salt*
0.25% Cure #1
The percentages are based on the weight of the pork belly. For example, you use 15 grams of salt for each kilogram of meat, and 2.5 grams of Cure #1 for each kilogram of meat. The minimum curing time will run about a week, but for many 14 days is a magic number.
* the salt percentage is a variable, a range of 1% to 3% could be used. Do not change the percentage of Cure #1.
Thank you. I will save this information

Third eye has you covered. When I do bacon, I use a dry cure rub. 1.5% salt and 0.75% sugar along with 0.25% cure (this makes 1.75% salt total) and add garlic powder. When I want no sugar I simply omit the sugar and proceed. Pretty straight forward.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky