Baby backs or pork loin? Both...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
On they go...
8453FFA1-5DE0-4A09-96D0-61851133F08E.jpeg

After 2 hours
E5B5E8D8-EA00-41A3-96D0-007235183A93.jpeg

Pulled at 144 deg
145339B1-5AA6-4236-82D4-DBD7B57FE6C2.jpeg

The ring
6AE4F137-D365-4986-9436-0BCFB72592C6.jpeg

The juice
E8DFF2D7-8DBE-407B-9CC3-20EADC9AA810.jpeg

The wifeys dinner
FA326C61-ABA0-48FD-AB3A-74575D54C5BB.jpeg

Almost done, just added some sauce
97025C17-EA0A-4FBF-84EE-96ADB6072069.jpeg

I had to have a snack before taking the pictures!
5F92F483-BC6D-43A9-9A96-26B8BA62FC34.jpeg

My new best friend. He gets crazy eyes over ribs!
9263ED20-4CC2-46F7-8C89-39076F64121D.jpeg

I couldn’t decide between the 2 so I cooked both. I would have been happy with cooking either, but I had my heart set on ribs. The last 3 times I went to Meijers they were out of spare ribs, so I settled for baby backs. My wife isn’t big on ribs, so I went ahead and cooked something I knew she would love too. The night before I pulled the membrane and trimmed up the ribs, and gave them a good dusting of my rub. I went ahead and made a batch of my Owensboro KY “dip” mop sauce for the rack and the loin. I used some to inject in the loin too about an hour before going on the smoker. The loin also got a light dusting of my rub, and trimmed the fat cap down pretty thin.

I fired the smoker up with some briquettes and some hickory splits. Kept my temps between 225-250 through most of the cook with a couple small dips.

I mopped the loin and ribs about every hour to keep them moist and add that great flavor. The loin stayed on for 2.5 hours, pulled off at about 144 degrees. I didn’t wrap the ribs. They stayed on for about 4 hours. I put a little of my own sauce on to finish them the last half hour. I’ve not done near as much baby back ribs as I have spares so not wrapping was a first for me. I pulled them off when I could pick them up with tongs and they had a pretty good sag, and made a few cracks in the meat. I would have let them go longer but I’m working night shift and I was cutting it close on having to leave for work.

Over all everything turned out great. My wife loved the pork loin and vegetables. I cut off a few slivers for myself too. It was so juicy and cut through very tender. The ribs, I thought, had a nice mahogany color. And I am pretty happy with how the layers of flavor all came together. My rub and sauce all have a nice theme of a little sweet up front with a little heat that hits right after. It leaves the taste buds wanting more. That worked really good with my dip giving it a nice savory balance. The only thing I would have done a little different is maybe cooked the ribs longer. They bit through pretty good. Still have a little more tug than I was looking for, but were very juicy. Both meats had a pretty nice smoke ring, that’s always the icing on the cake!

Nice smoke you got there logs, with three young boys your gonna be making similar meals on a daily basis in the not so distance future.

Point for sure.
Chris

Look great! That pork loin reminds me that we have a large loin we need to do - tasty easy cut!

For the ribs on for 4 hours, how much longer would you have liked them to go?

We prefer baby backs over spares, and I find that my baby backs are going closer to 6 hours. However, definitely more on the FOTB end of things. Curious for your thoughts.

Looks Great to me!

Pork loin is my new favorite for Jerky meat!
I would think with that team of boys you would be doing a lot of Baby Back Ribs. LOL!

Nice smoke you got there logs, with three young boys your gonna be making similar meals on a daily basis in the not so distance future.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks gmc, and yeah the boys can definitely eat. Especially my little one. When he eats it like watching a wood chipper. He loves bbq. I’m sure when they get older they will eat us out of house and home.

Look great! That pork loin reminds me that we have a large loin we need to do - tasty easy cut!

For the ribs on for 4 hours, how much longer would you have liked them to go?

We prefer baby backs over spares, and I find that my baby backs are going closer to 6 hours. However, definitely more on the FOTB end of things. Curious for your thoughts.

Thanks illini40, I don’t know just how much longer I would have went. Just till I was more happy with the finished product. I haven’t a lot of baby back ribs, but a little closer to FOTB, at least with a little more pull back on the bones. But they still bit through good, and had a great taste. I can’t complain.

Looks Great to me!

Pork loin is my new favorite for Jerky meat!
I would think with that team of boys you would be doing a lot of Baby Back Ribs. LOL!

Thanks SonnyE. There are definitely a lot more ribs in our future. With three growing boys this is my argument to the wife for getting a bigger better smoker next year! I’ve got my fingers crossed anyway...

Thanks SonnyE. There are definitely a lot more ribs in our future. With three growing boys this is my argument to the wife for getting a bigger better smoker next year! I’ve got my fingers crossed anyway...

No argument needed, just use the smoker you've got so much you get them all hopelessly hooked on Smoking Meat, then the need justifies the upgrade.
If I were you, I would not mess around. I would set my sights on a smoker that would serve you for years and years, like a Smokin It.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky