Assembled My New Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The therm on my WSM was fairly accurate when new.Now it's a crapshoot.Sometimes it's spot on and sometimes off up to 60 degrees :confused:
This is not over 290 today but I didn't think it would be since it's been in mid 30s weather.
I need to get my pork butt on soon. It's not going to be done by 10 pm .. :Dlol

The chunk and slivers all done in 45 minutes..
The underside of this lid is just covered with liquefied few in going to have to clean out somehow..

Oh well.. Will see..
15122337326401049420375.jpg

I stuck it on at 12:30
Here is the foil I put down on the shield and on the wood chip pan.
I added charcoal pieces and one wrapped up chunk with a few holes in the foil.. few small chunks to start. 227° now..
I also removed the water pan.
IMG_20171202_122105.jpg
IMG_20171202_122812.jpg

I meant pretty in the raw state.....Nice rub job
Have a pan on the rack below because I want smoke on the under side too..
The drippings that Fall into that pan will all be no good and the sugar burns on the bottom of the pan. At about 6 hours of smoke I will put the meat in another pan to save some of the drippings and also use that pan to tightly cover the meat with foil to get through stall..
The smoker is staying perfectly between 230 and 235 . I just removed the wrapped up chunk and it was all charcoal in a nice block.. I put in 2 fresh whole charcoals and 2 smaller chunks all wrapped together in foil.

Sweet,holding temp nice-same as I shoot for 235-250.I do same with pan but pour out dregs and reuse same pan.Sounds like you have good smoking weather there today.About same as here.Tomorrow is supposed to be nice here also - mid 50's,calm wind and sunny

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?

How's it coming along?

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?

How's it coming along?
Lmao at Moody Blues tune..

Haha..

It's 7 hours and I just went out and stuck a probe in the meat. it's 189 now so not sure if it's going to be in a stall now or what..
I put the meat in a new clean pan with just a little fat I saved from the drip pan.
Drip pan is trashed from burnt sugar caked on..
I will monitor the IT for a few and see if it's moving ..
Umm.. I haven't cranked up heat yet or covered it.
Here is the drip pan.. The non bone side feels close to probe tender.. The bone side does not feel close to being done yet.
IMG_20171202_192502.jpg

Went and bought some more cider vinegar for a sauce..
Using onion and smashed minced garlic.
Probably cup and a half vinegar and a cup of mustard and 1/2 cup ketchup or less.. some tomato paste and brown sugar.. a tad of molasses and some cayenne.. a little pepper flakes perhaps..
Cook it at a simmer 10 minutes.. may need thickening .. I will use a spoon of corn starch.. adjust salt n pepper.. adjust tang and sweetness.. Have honey etc..

Yeah.. like a bit of vinegar and tomato based with a tad heat and sweet..

This thing is in a stall.. yep.. Still 189 ° after I bumped it up to 275° in the chamber 35 minutes ago..
I could finish this in my oven I guess.. It's free to cook it with the gas oven.. Electric costing me. Lol
Just as I thought.. took time to check every area.. It's going in the oven covered in the pan.. looks good though.. That bark tastes good.. :p

Attachments

• IMG_20171202_201836.jpg
    IMG_20171202_201836.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20171202_201937.jpg
    IMG_20171202_201937.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20171202_201744.jpg
    IMG_20171202_201744.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Looks like the bark would taste good! I have to figure out what sauce to make.I can't get my fave anymore around here locally and it's made in Richmond! Sauer's

Looks like the bark would taste good! I have to figure out what sauce to make.I can't get my fave anymore around here locally and it's made in Richmond! Sauer's
I came real close to spending some change on the bottled stuff.. I saw Stubbs brand and that Bone Suckin Sauce in my meat market.. was some other ones like from Mississippi and Kansas.. gourmet restaurant ones.. Haha.. I can make some though.. much cheaper and can control the flavor .

Looks like I'm at the finish line zone here..
7.5 hours at 230 and then a couple hours at 275° in the oven.. covered in foil for a couple hours does speed it up a bit..
1512269893202-569780727.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky