As suggested by others...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
Just got my copy of Rytek Kutas 4th edition of Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. This book is excellent as it has a very nice hardback front cover, easy to understand, good illustrations, recipes, canning information, charts for beef, pork, veal, list of some suppliers, you get the picture. I highly rate this book for anyone interested in sausage making and the likes there of. Do I sound like a satified customer? Thanks for all that suggested this book. It's all good my friends.

Congratulations on the Book, you will love it...

hey congratulations on your sausage making endeavours and please keep us posted with the good, and the not-so-good!

Some of us non-sausage makers live vicariously through you alls posts, so don't forget us. Chorizo is a Rivet-favourite!

tongue.gif

Great book congrats on getting it

Congrats on the the new book, you will love it!!
Not to take this thread off topic to far, but I hear others refer to the forth edition, I have the first, and was wondering if there was a big difference?

I know you will have a blast trying all the recipes, and I'm jelouse
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

I have wanted to try my hand at Sausage for a while now;however Trish won't give me permission to get all the equipment to start
icon_neutral.gif
What with all the grinders,stuffers,cures and casings being so high in cost, I'll have to continue to purchase the pre-made stuff or get to know someone that does thier own sausage,etc.
But if anyone would have some equipment they don't want(has to be working),I'd be more than pleased to take it off your hands.........
biggrin.gif

Seriously, is there a "starters version of sausage making"
icon_question.gif
You know , like free
icon_question.gif
LMAO

The information on using sodium nitrite as cure for smoking meats is worth 2x the cost of the book by itself. One of the best pieces of information out there.

If you are new to smoking sausages, you should get and read this book.

Thats book is definatly on my sort list to get and my Birthday is coming upso I know it will be in my furture or matbe I'll have to buy it and let them buy me the grinder/stuffer thing. I can definatly see sausage in my future. SOON

bbqfans
I have a Kitchen Aid heavy duty mixer this is our second one (wore the first one out) We got the grinder attachment and the stuffer horn and we are off to the races.Sure its a bit slow but I have more time than money right now.This system has worked well for our needs but I showed a friend and his family uses a old van for a smoker and he thought we were crazy to do it this way.I can make smaller batches and have fun tweaking them.We generally make 10 lb.lots.So next Mothers day ,Christmas or birthday pick her up on she'll love it and so will you.

For those who make sausage, its simply refereed to as " The Book"...

Have to agree w jerseyhunter add more fat. I speak from experience on that. A local butcher just looked at a bratwurst I made an laughed...he told me there is no such thing as a healthy sausage. I had way too little fat mixed in.

Like DanMcG, I have a first edition of Rytek's book, and was wondering why everyone recommends the fourth edition?

For those wanting to get started in sausagemaking, I suggest doing as I did.
1) Invite yourself along to someone else's sausage making event. Once there, make yourself useful. If you show a genuine willingness to learn, you will quickly be trained in on mixing the seasonings thoroughly to avoid 'hotspots', rinsing casings, how full to stuff the casins, etc. This will also help you secide if it really is something you want to get into.

2) Figure out what you now spend on hiring your sausage made, and set that amount aside to start buying your equipment. Try to buy quality equipment, but you can start pretty simple. A hand grinder can do the whole job for awhile, then you can upgrade to an electric grinder, separate stuffer, etc.

3) You can increase the equipment budget by first sharing some of your sausage with friends, then being willing to make sausage for those friends in exchange for either money to add to the budget, or barter for equipment they already have but aren't using.

Sounds like it may be full of usefull information even for us who don't make our own sausages. What do you think?

Maybe if I'm ever lucky enough to retire that'll be something I try and pickup.

Been making sausage since 1988. Last winter I picked up Rytek Kutas's Great Sausage Making and Meat Curing 3rd edition, it has ALOT of recipes, is a very good read and explain processes very well; I am always up for learning more. I would like to know what the differences are in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th additions?

I also have Home Sausage Making 3rd addition by Susan Mahnke Peery & Charles G. Reavis; it is also a good resource for sausage making (but so is SMF !!!).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky