Applewood Smoked Cheddar!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve Andrews

Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Nova Scotia
Some Applewood Smoked Cheddar I did back in November, decided to crack it open today and it was amazing...
Curious, what's the average rest people wait to enjoy their smoked cheese, I have always heard a minimum of 2 weeks as a rule of thumb.
Wondering how long this stuff would last in the fridge un-opened vac sealed, seemed like the longer it sat the better it got.

Cheers,

51338497_2002886796498945_5882457603115581440_o.jpg

Sure looks good to me!

When I went to Hennings <super good cheese maker by me> I actually was talking to the staff and if it is properly vaccum sealed and in a fridge after being smoked, it never goes bad. One of their employees has cheese they cold smoked five years ago she told me. If I remember correctly I have infact seen cheese here that was over a decade old with no going bad.

I stray even longer then two weeks my self now.

Reactions: Steve Andrews
Looks really good, nice color on that. Since I switched over to using dust. I can basically eat it the same day. It's still a tad harsh, but eatable. I normally wait at least a week.

Chris

Looks really good, nice color on that. Since I switched over to using dust. I can basically eat it the same day. It's still a tad harsh, but eatable. I normally wait at least a week.

Chris
Any reason you switched to Dust? Just curious...

I'd wait at least two weeks. But yeah, the longer it sits and mellows, the better it is.
I smoked two batches at the start of January, one batch applewood and the other batch with cherry.
My wife and I broke into the applewood smoked cheese after two weeks.
Last week we finally broke into the cherry smoked batch.
What a treat that was.
Smoked a batch of colby, sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and swiss with applewood on Jan 29th and I'm thinking to let that that mellow for a month or longer.

Like Chris I switched to dust also. I can only speak for myself, I switched because pellet dust creates a lighter smoke. I smoke for 4 hours, using a pellet tube. Also, I use an old meat grinder to “finely grind/ make dust from apple pellets. This is just me and my family’s preference. I can definitely tell a deference between pellets and dust.
Hope this helps.

Like Chris I switched to dust also. I can only speak for myself, I switched because pellet dust creates a lighter smoke. I smoke for 4 hours, using a pellet tube. Also, I use an old meat grinder to “finely grind/ make dust from apple pellets. This is just me and my family’s preference. I can definitely tell a deference between pellets and dust.
Hope this helps.

I may try dust next time, thanks!

Justin has you covered. Dust burns much cleaner/lighter then pellets. I only smoke for 2 to 3 hours. When smoking cheese for the wife and I. We like a liter smoke profile.

Chris

I only do cheese one time per year & make enough to last the whole year.
Never had any go bad as long as they were vac packed & in the fridge.
Al

I usually wait about a month. However the last time I did smoked cheese was last April. Opened up the last sharp cheddar and a swiss about a month ago and it was great. Still have two 8oz hickory smoked pepper jack that I have yet to open.

Some Applewood Smoked Cheddar I did back in November, decided to crack it open today and it was amazing...
Curious, what's the average rest people wait to enjoy their smoked cheese, I have always heard a minimum of 2 weeks as a rule of thumb.
Wondering how long this stuff would last in the fridge un-opened vac sealed, seemed like the longer it sat the better it got.

Cheers,

View attachment 387174
Looks tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky